1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reading with Uncertainty

1. Jul 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The manufacturer of a digital ammeter quotes its uncertainty as ±1.5% ±2 digits.
    a. Determine the uncertainty in a constant reading of 2.64 A
    b. The meter is used to measure the current from a d.c. power supply. The current is found to fluctuate randomly between 1.58 A and 2.04 A. Determine the most likely value of the current, with its uncertainty

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer of (a) is ±0.06 A and (b) is (2.01 ± 0.09) A

I am not sure what ± 2 digits means. Is it ± 0.02 ?

My attempts:
    (a) uncertainty = 2.64 x 1.5 % + 0.02 = 0.0596 ≈ 0.06 A

(b)
    Average = (1.58 + 2.04) / 2 = 1.81 A
    Uncertainty for 1.58 A = 1.58 x 1.5% + 0.02 = 0.0437 ≈ 0.04 A
    Uncertainty for 2.04 A = 2.04 x 1.5% + 0.02 = 0.0506 ≈ 0.05 A
    Total uncertainty = 0.04 + 0.05 = 0.09 A

Then stuck....

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I would have read the "digit" part as meaning that the uncertainty given has been rounded to 2 digits.
    But ##\small (2.64 \pm 0.06)\text{A}## would be an uncertainty of 2.3%

Similarly, I'd have expected part b to be the mean of the measurements - with the uncertainty on the mean as the error.
    I I guess a typo and that 2.04A should be 2.64A, then the mean becomes 2.11A - kinda the same sort of typo perhaps?

So you do need to check how you are expected to interpret that rating.
    So I too await what others come up with.

Note: you've asked this question in lots of forums... if another forum beats us to it, please repost here.
    Thanks.

4. Jul 29, 2013 #3
    Hm...yes.

0.06 / 2.64 x 100% ≈ 2.3 % not 1.5%. It is because of that ± 2 digits. If we subtract 0.02 from 0.06 then the uncertainty will be back to 1.5% but the measurement can't be written as 2.64 ± 0.06. This confuses me.

And actually it is not me posting the question in another forums. After reading your comment, I tried to google it and it surprised me this question has been asked by so many students, including here (although it had not been answered yet)

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=473262

Maybe I should google my question first. I depend too much on PF :tongue:

There is another question on my book, like this:
    The diameter of a ball is measured using a metre rule and two set squares. The readings on the rule are 16.8 cm and 20.4 cm. Each reading has an uncertainty of ±1 mm. Calculate, for the diameter of the ball, its actual uncertainty.

My answer is ± 2 mm, twice the uncertainty of each reading. But the answer on the book is ±0.2 mm. Is it a typo (maybe ±0.2 cm) or I made mistake?

Thank you for your reply

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted