1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real acoustical sources

1. Oct 15, 2006 #1
    Hi guys,

Let's assume I have a point source in a free field. Now, correct me if I'm wrong on any of the following points:

• As the spherical waves spread out from the point source, they will tend towards plane waves.
    • Since planes waves lose less intensity with distance than spherical waves (due to wavefront area not increasing), the rate at which the intensity falls will decrease with distance.
    • A graph will look like the attachment. The black line is for an ideal point source where the waves stay spherical with distance, the blue line for the situation I've described.

Thanks,
    Stewart

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your black line already accounts for the reduced rate of intensity loss. If there are no energy losses, the intensity (energy per unit area) will be inversely proportional to area, which is proportional to distance^2

I=K/r^2

At some reference distance say 1m, the intensity is Io

Io = K/(1m)^2

So

I/Io = (r/1m)^(-2)

Taking log of both sides

log (I/Io) = -2log(r/1m)

This is what your black line is showing

The rate of intensity loss with increasing distance is the derivative of intensity wrt r

dI/dr = K(-2)/r^3

This is a rapidly decreasing function of r. There is no reason to expect a slower rate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?