1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis - Continuity

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1
    Two problems, actually, but they are very similar. Here goes:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f be a continuous real-valued function with domain (a, b). Show that if f(r) = 0 for each rational number r in (a, b,), then f(x) = 0 for all x in (a, b).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f and g be continuous real-valued functions on (a, b) such that f(r) = g(r) for each rational number r in (a, b). Prove that f(x) = g(x) for all x in (a, b).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Alright, well I'm thinking I should approach both of these problems in pretty much the same way. I know the following theorem, but I'm not sure where to go from here: "f is continuous at x_0 in dom(f) iff for each epsilon > 0 there exists delta > 0 such that x in dom(f) and |x - x_0| < delta imply |f(x) - f(x_0)| < epsilon.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For any delta>0 there is a rational number in the interval |x-x0|<delta. What does that tell you about f(x0)?

4. Mar 26, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Another way to do this is to use the fact that [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)= \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} f(x_n)[/itex] where [itex]{x_n}[/itex] is any sequence of numbers converging to a. In particular, there always exist a sequence of rational numbers converging to a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?