1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis limit problem

1. Sep 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f:ℝ→ℝ is defined as f(x)= 2x if x is rational and f(x)=4-2x if x is irrational.
    Is it true that lim x→1/2=1?

2. The attempt at a solution
    Intuitively it seems that as x gets ever closer to 1/2 from either side that the function will oscillate between numbers very close to 1 and 3 and therefore there the limit doesn't exist.
    Firstly is my intuition right?
    Secondly how does one show this using the definition of a limit or some other theorem?
    I thought about using the fact that all (xn)[itex]\subseteq[/itex]ℝ such that (xn)→1/2 would have to imply that (f(xn))→1. Again i can't formally show that this can't be.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is correct. If x is a rational number close to 1/2, then f(x) is close to 2(1/2)= 1 and if x is an irrational number close to 1/2, then f(x) is close to 4- 2(1/2)= 3. The function does NOT get close to any one number for all real numbers close to 1/2 and so the limit does not exist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook