1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis - limsups

1. Apr 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let (s_n) and (t_n) be bounded sequences of nonnegative numbers. Prove that limsup(s_n*t_n) <= (limsup(s_n))*(limsup(t_n)).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that (s_n) and (t_n) have convergent subsequences, but that's about it. Where could I go from here? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2008 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What you could do is suppose the contrary; i.e. suppose limsup(s_n*t_n) > (limsup(s_n))*(limsup(t_n)), and then find a counterexemple to this by choosing the sequences s_n and t_n adequately.

4. Apr 15, 2008 #3
    Ok, I can do that. So, basically I'm saying: there exists x such that not A fails => A is true for all x. Is this the idea? Thanks! :smile:

5. Apr 15, 2008 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Apr 15, 2008 #5

Vid

When you negate a for every you get a there exists.

Not A should say:

There exists two bounded non-negative sequences s_n, t_n such that
    limsup(s_n*t_n) > limsup(s_n)*limsup(t_n).

Finding a sequence that doesn't fit that doesn't prove a damn.

7. Apr 15, 2008 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh yes, Vid is right. What I suggested doesn't work.

8. Apr 15, 2008 #7
    Ok, this just doesn't seem right to me. Isn't this just equivalent to coming up with an example of what I want to prove, and not really proving it?

For example, what if I tried to "prove" x + 1 > 0 for all x in R. If I assume the converse, i.e. x + 1 <= 0 for all x in R, and I take x to be 1, I get x + 1 = 2 > 0. So the converse is false, but the original statement is obviously not true.

Edit: I was posting this while Vid posted. That's what I was suspecting. How can I try to prove this then?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  9. Apr 15, 2008 #8

Vid

You could still assume not and try and derive a contradiction.

10. Apr 15, 2008 #9
    Ok, well intuitively, I see why this is true, because limsup(s_n) is the biggest number in S = {limits of all subsequences of s_n} and limsup(t_n) is the biggest number in T = {limits of all subsequences of t_n}. So multiplied together, limsup(s_n)*limsup(t_n) has to be >= limsup(s_n*t_n) because s_n*t_n can't ever be bigger than sup(T)*sup(S).

I think I know what's going on. But I'm really not sure on how to prove it, either by deriving a contradiction or otherwise. Thanks for your help.

11. Apr 15, 2008 #10

Vid

Use the fact that they are bounded sequences. If |s_n|<=M and |t_n| <=N. Since everything is positive |s_n||t_n| <= MN. If limsup(s_n*t_n) > limsup(s_n)*limsup(t_n)....

Can you get it from here?

12. Apr 15, 2008 #11
    Well, can I say that limsup(s_n) <= s_n <= M, and also that limsup(t_n) <= t_n <= N? So limsup(s_n)limsup(t_n) <= MN. And limsup(s_n*t_n) <= (s_n*t_n) <= MN. Then we have MN >= limsup(s_n*t_n) > limsup(s_n)limsup(t_n). But this is a contradiction, because we could have limsup(s_n)limsup(t_n) = MN.

Is this right?

13. Apr 15, 2008 #12

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The idea is sound but limsup(s_n) <= s_n is not right.

What you wanna invoke is the fact that s_n is bounded by M, and thus so is every subsequence of s_n, and thus so is the limit of any convergent subsequence of s_n, and thus so is limsup(s_n) (as the sup over all these limits of convegent subsequences)

14. Apr 15, 2008 #13

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm talking too fast again.

limsup(s_n)limsup(t_n) < MN

is not a contradiction with

limsup(s_n)limsup(t_n) <= MN.

15. Apr 15, 2008 #14
    Ok, so I can say that since (s_n) <= M, then any subsequence (s_n_k) <= M. Since s_n is bounded, it has a convergent subsequence. If lim(s_n_k) = s, then s <= M. limsup(s_n) = sup(S), where S = {limits of all subsequences of s_n}, so limsup(s_n) <= M. Similarly, limsup(t_n) <= N.

Then since u_n = (s_n*t_n) <= MN, any subsequence of u_n <= MN. Since u_n is bounded, it has a convergent subsequence. If lim(u_n_k) = u, then u <=MN. limsup(u_n) = sup(U), where U = {limits of all subsequences of u_n}, so limsup(u_n) <=MN. Then we have MN >= limsup(s_n*t_n) > limsup(s_n)limsup(t_n).

Edit: I just saw your other post, so this isn't right. This is pretty frustrating. It's a pretty easy proof, I know, but I'm just not seeing it. Thanks again for your assistance.

16. Apr 15, 2008 #15

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since I don't know what Vid was hinting at, I can try to guide you through a solution I found if you'd like?

Suppose that for some sequences {s_n}, {t_n}, we have

limsup(s_n*t_n) > (limsup(s_n))*(limsup(t_n))

Let's try to derive a contradiction. Because both sequences are non negative and bounded, then so is s_n*t_n. Set limsup(s_n*t_n) = L (with 0<L<+infinity). This means there exists a subsequence {s_n_k*t_n_k} such that s_n_k*t_n_k-->L.

Now use the fact that {s_n_k} is bounded to deduce that there exists a convergent subsequence s_n_k_l-->s. In particular, s_n_k_l*t_n_k_l-->L , and so

[tex]\frac{1}{t_n_k_l}=\frac{s_n_k_l}{s_n_k_lt_n_k_l}\rightarrow s/L[/tex]

(note that because L>0, then s_n_k_l*t_n_k_l >0 for l large enough)

This means that t_n_k_l -->L/s. So we can write limsup(s_n)>=s and limsup(t_n)>=L/s, and hence limsup(s_n)*limsup(t_n)>=L, a contradiction. (!)

Surely there is simpler.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?