1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis: Proof of irrationality of all Sqrt[n] where n is not a perfect square

1. Oct 23, 2012 #1
    The problem reads as follows:

Let n be a positive integer that is not a perfect square. Prove that √n is irrational.

I understand the basic outline that a proof would have. Assume √n is rational and use a proof by contradiction. We can set √n=p/q where p and q are integers with gcd(p,q)=1. Now n=p2/q2. Next, nq2=p2. This implies p2 is divisible by q2, which subsequently implies that p is divisible by q. If n was a perfect square, its root would be an integer so q=1 and this is satisfied. However, if n is not a perfect square, its root would not be an integer. Thus, p divisible by q shows that gcd(p,q)≠1 and we have a contradiction.

My confusion is with the following step: p2 is divisible by q2 implies that p is divisible by q. Thank you so much for all of the help you can give me.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re: Real Analysis: Proof of irrationality of all Sqrt[n] where n is not a perfect squ

It's more usual to think about common factors between n and p, and how often they divide each.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook