Proof of existence of y and z for x>1

In summary, the proof shows that for every real number x>1, there exists two distinct positive real numbers y and z such that x = (y^2 +9)/(6y) = (z^2 +9)/(6z). The proof involves solving the equation x=(w^2+9)/6w and showing that there are two possible solutions for y and z, or finding a point where the function f(w)=(w^2+9)/6w - x is negative, indicating the existence of y and z.
playboy
Prove: For every real number x>1, there exists two distinct positive real numbers y and z such that

x = (y^2 +9)/(6y) = (z^2 +9)/(6z)

Okay.. this has real got me beat. Firstly (this sounds stupid and obvious), when they give us a proof, is it really true? Do we just naturally believe that its true and with this in mind, prove it? Or could it be wrong and we eventually find that out if we do the proof?

I first tried to isolate y and z in terms of x and set them equal to each other, but that led me to a dead end.

Then i tried the contrapositive, but that didn't make it any easier.

So.. I tried contradiction.

For every real number x>1, there DOES NOT exists two distinct positive real numbers y and z such that

x = (y^2 +9)/(6y) = (z^2 +9)/(6z)

and now I am out of ideas?

Can somebody please help me out?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider solving the equation

[tex]x=\frac{w^2+9}{6w},[/tex] where x>1 is a constant.

If [itex]w\neq 0[/itex], then

[tex]w^2-6xw+9=0[/tex]

so by the quadratic equation, we have

[tex]w=\frac{6x\pm\sqrt{36x^2-36}}{2}=3x\pm 3\sqrt{x^2-1}[/tex]

which are both real (since x>1) and thus we note that:

[tex]y=3x+3\sqrt{x^2-1},z=3x-3\sqrt{x^2-1}[/tex]

are certianly distinct real numbers satisfing said conditions.

There is of course another way of showing existence without actually finding the answers y aand z in terms of x.

Consider f(w)=(w^2+9)/6w - x

when w tends to zero this is positive, when w tends to infinity this is positive. If there exists any point where it is negative then the solution follows. We can finid the minimum: f'(w)= 1/6 - 3/(4w^2), and the minimal value there will be negative (for x>1) and we are done.

1. What is real analysis proof?

Real analysis proof is a branch of mathematics that deals with the rigorous study of real numbers, their properties, and functions defined on them. It involves proving theorems and propositions using logical reasoning and mathematical techniques.

2. Why is real analysis proof important?

Real analysis proof is important because it provides the foundation for many other branches of mathematics, such as calculus, differential equations, and complex analysis. It also has applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What are some common techniques used in real analysis proof?

Some common techniques used in real analysis proof include mathematical induction, contradiction, and the use of epsilon-delta arguments. Other techniques may involve the use of limits, sequences, and series.

4. How can I improve my skills in real analysis proof?

To improve your skills in real analysis proof, it is important to have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts such as set theory, functions, and basic algebra. It is also helpful to practice solving various problems and proofs, and to seek guidance from experienced mathematicians or professors.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in real analysis proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid in real analysis proof include not clearly stating assumptions, not correctly using mathematical notation, and making incorrect logical deductions. It is also important to be careful with the use of inequalities and to double check all calculations and steps in your proof.