1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis Proof

1. Dec 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let y be a fixed real number satisfying 0<y[tex]\leq[/tex]1. Prove that (1+x)[tex]^{y}[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]1+ x[tex]^{y}[/tex] for all x[tex]\geq[/tex]0.

2. Relevant equations
    I'm not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The hint given with the problem states that the derivative of x[tex]^{y}[/tex] is yx[tex]^{y-1}[/tex]. My first thought is that I'm supposed to show that they are both strictly increasing, but I don't really know what that would help me with.

I'm not really looking for an answer so much as a bit of direction.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2
    Are you sure you didn't reverse the inequality sign?
    Take f(x)=(1+x)y-1-xy and show that f' is positive for all positive x. This implies that f(x) is positive for all x because f(0)=0.
  4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    Oh yes. I am quite certain that the inequality is right. Doing a few test cases shows that it is the correct inequality. So, basically, I end up with:

-1<p[tex]\leq[/tex]0 Then letting p=|p|

and f'(x)=y[tex]\frac{1}{x^{p}}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{1}{(1+x)^{p}}[/tex]. And since x[tex]\geq[/tex]0 for all x, and since x<x+1 for all x, x[tex]^{p}[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex](x+1)[tex]^{p}[/tex] and so [tex]\frac{1}{(x+1)^{p}}[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{x^{p}}[/tex] giving that f'(x) is always positive and with f(0)=0, the intended result.

I trust that this is in the right direction, and thank you very much for your response.
  5. Dec 8, 2008 #4
    I suppose I should do a separate case for p=0.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?