1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Real Analysis Proof

1. Mar 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to show equivalence of two statements:

Let f:S-->T be a function, show that f is 1-1 (injective) is equivalent to f(A n B) = f(A) n f(B) for all A,B subsets of S.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know equivalence means iff, so I started by assuming f is 1-1 and showing f(A n B) = f(A) n f(B) by showing containment both ways (I think I did that part right, since f(A n B) subset of f(A) n f(B) is easy, and f(A) n f(B) subset of f(A n B) uses the fact that f is 1-1).

Now I assume f(A n B) = f(A) n f(B) and try to show f is 1-1. I let x,y be elements of S such that f(x) = f(y). And I don't know where to go from here. I guess I don't know how to combine f(x) = f(y) and f(A n B) = f(A) n f(B) but I'm pretty sure I have to, somehow. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Perhaps let A={x} and B={y}?

4. Mar 9, 2010 #3
    Or maybe A={x} and B=S-{x}.

5. Mar 9, 2010 #4
    Thanks for the replies, I think I figured it out a way to do it. Since it is p iff q, and I can prove if p then q, for the if q then p I just proved the contrapositive, if not p then not q. This should be valid, right? Logic is confusing :rolleyes:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook