1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis: Stolz–Cesàro Proof

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1

Gib Z

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. Let xn and yn be sequences in R with yn+1 > yn > 0 for all natural numbers n and that yn→∞.
    (a) Let m be a natural number. Show that for n > m
    [tex]\frac{x_n}{y_n} = \frac{x_m}{y_n} + \frac{1}{y_n} \sum_{k=m+1}^{n} (x_k - x_{k-1})[/tex]

(b) Deduce from (a) or otherwise that

[tex]|\frac{x_n}{y_n}| \leq |\frac{x_m}{y_n}| + \sup_{k>m} | \frac{ x_k - x_{k-1} }{ y_k - y_{k-1} } |[/tex]

(c) Assuming [tex]\frac{x_n-x_{n-1}}{y_n-y_{n-1}} \to 0[/tex], show [itex]x_n/y_n \to 0[/itex].

(d) Assuming [tex]\frac{x_n-x_{n-1}}{y_n-y_{n-1}} \to L[/tex], show [itex]x_n/y_n \to L[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a) was fine.

(b) Would the question be more correct to use sup k>m+1 instead, since a k-1 index is in the inside expression?

I'm not sure if this was the right thing to do as the question probably intended the sum to remain unsimplified, but I replaced it with xn-xm.

Using the triangle inequality and that y is strictly increasing so that yn-ym < yn, we get

[tex] | \frac{x_n}{y_n} | \leq | \frac{x_m}{y_n} | + | \frac{x_n-x_m}{y_n-y_m} | [/tex]

Then I'm not really sure what I can validly do after that.

(c) If (b) is assumed, then if we take the limit of both sides, it reduces to the statement that [tex] | \frac{x_n}{y_n} | - | \frac{x_m}{y_n} | \leq 0 [/tex] holds true for large n.

I don't think that's the right direction to go, certainly since it seems to imply x is decreasing when that was never given. Don't know what to do.

(d) No idea, but if I had (c) this one would probably be similar.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2010 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Has anyone got any hints? I'm still stuck.
  4. Apr 29, 2010 #3

you probably already know this, but the 2nd equation doesn't imply the first because sup(all that stuff) could be smaller than [tex] \left| \frac{x_n-x_m}{y_n-y_m} \right|[/tex]

The most obvious path is to prove that
    [tex]\sup_{k>m}\left|y_n\frac{\Delta x_k}{\Delta y_k} \right| \geq \left| \sum_{k=m+1}^{n} \Delta x_k\right|[/tex]

and then apply triangle inequality.

First, restate it as an existence question, remove the sup and ask: does there exist a [tex]k[/tex] that makes the inequality true?

[STRIKE]An idea:

It reduces to finding [tex]m+1\leq k \leq n[/tex] such that

[tex]\frac{y_n}{\Delta y_k}\geq n-m[/tex] (1)

[tex] \Delta x_k \geq \frac{|x_n-x_m|}{n-m} [/tex] (2)

It is easy to to find a [tex]k[/tex] that satisfies each condition individually, but I can't see how to find one that satisfies both simultaneously =(
    edit: the above approach won't work, I found a counterexample to it.
    For c),

to find N such that [tex]\frac{x_n}{y_n}<\varepsilon[/tex] for n>N,

first find an m such that [tex]\frac{ \Delta x_k }{\Delta y_k } < \frac \varepsilon 2 [/tex] for k>m, then use part b) and finish it off.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  5. Apr 30, 2010 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

My mind started thinking clearly and I figured these out finally. If anyone's interested in the solutions send me a PM and I'll post them here.

boboYO, I didn't see the edit until just now, my final solution for (c) didn't make any use of (b) and was quite long =[ Could you tell me how we could have used (b) to finish it off. When I see it I bet I'll kick myself.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  6. May 3, 2010 #5

Homework Helper

see what you think of this
    let [itex] \Delta x_j = x_j-x_{j-1} [/itex]

then, let k>m be the the supremum index, then
    [tex]| \frac{\Delta x_k }{ \Delta y_k }| \geq | \frac{\Delta x_j }{ \Delta y_j }|, \forall j>m [/tex]

rearranging, knowing that [itex] \Delta y_j > 0 [/itex], then summing from m+1 upto n:
    [tex]| \frac{\Delta x_k }{ \Delta y_k }| \sum \Delta y_j \geq \sum |\Delta x_j |\geq |\sum \Delta x_j| [/tex]
    [tex]\sup_{k>m}| \frac{\Delta x_k }{ \Delta y_k }| \geq |\frac{x_n-x_m}{y_n-y_m}|\geq |\frac{x_n-x_m}{y_n}| \geq |\frac{x_n}{y_n}| - |\frac{x_m}{y_n}| [/tex]
  7. May 3, 2010 #6

Homework Helper

then for c) choose M such that
    [tex]\frac{x_m-x_{m-1}}{y_m-y_{m-1}} < \epsilon, \forall m>M [/tex]

then for n,m>M
    [tex]|\frac{x_n}{y_n}| \leq |\frac{x_m}{y_n}| + \epsilon[/tex]

[itex] x_m [/itex] is just a number, and as [itex] y_n [/itex] is unbounded as n increases, we should be able to choose N>M so that for all n>N
    [tex] |\frac{x_m}{y_n}|\leq \epsilon[/tex]

then for n>N>M
    [tex]|\frac{x_n}{y_n}| \leq 2\epsilon[/tex]

which should be pretty close....

this part threw me for a bit above
    [tex]\sup_{k>m}| \frac{\Delta x_k }{ \Delta y_k }| \geq |\frac{x_n-x_m}{y_n-y_m}| [/tex]
    but i'm thinking maybe the continuous analogue is something like the mean value theorem, except that the maximum gradient must be >= the average

not 100% there is no holes...
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook