1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real analysis, subsequences

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that for any L[tex]\in[/tex][-1,1] there exists a subsequence of cos(n) such that that subsequence converges to L

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea.
    I suppose that the ultimate goal would be to find a subsequence nk so that nk converges to x, where x = cos-1(L) + 2[tex]\pi[/tex]k
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Think about the graph of y = cos(x) and the parts of this graph that lie between the horizontal lines
    [tex]y = L + \epsilon [/tex]
    and
    [tex]y = L - \epsilon [/tex].
    Some of the values of cos(n) will lie in this band.

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    how can you guarantee that there is a value of n in that band? n is a natural number so i'm not sure how you can say that it is in there.

5. Nov 9, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The easiest way is to show that n mod 2*pi is dense in [0,2pi]. Then use that cos is continuous. To show the density use that pi is irrational. If r is irrational then n*r mod 1 is dense in [0,1]. I KNOW this is true. For some reason the proof doesn't stick in my head. I've looked it up more than once. Do I have to do it again, or can you figure it out? I know it involves the pigeonhole principle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?