1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis

1. May 8, 2006 #1
    I'm planning to learn real analysis in the up and coming holidays, any body have any good suggestions on which text books will be useful?

I've heard good comments about Baby Rudin, is this true?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2006 #2
    michael c. reed's text was a decent real analysis book IMHO

4. May 9, 2006 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i found baby rudin to be very concise and hard to learn from. i like riesz nagy, but i am not an expert. friends of mine who are experts use wheeden and zygmund.

5. May 10, 2006 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i guess i do not know what you mean by real analysis on second thought. i am assuming you mean measure and integration, but some people just mean limits and metric spaces, which is what baby rudin suggests to me.

professional analysists mdo like baby rudin, so you mgiht try it to see if you are one opf them. i disliekd it myself. if your idea of fun is treating a real number as a dedekind cut, be my guest.

another excellent book is dieudonne's foundations of modern analysis for metric spaces, banach and hilbert spaces, and real and complex calculus in that setting. no measure theory though but it is a wonderful book.

Last edited: May 10, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?