Compactness of a Closed Ball in C([0,1])

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that the closed ball in the space of continuous functions on [0,1] is not compact. The suggestion is to look at the sequence of continuous functions ##f_n(x) = x^n## and to determine if it converges to a limit in the closed unit ball. The argument is made that ##f_n## is continuous for all ##n##, and the question is whether its uniform limit exists or if any subsequences have a uniform limit. The conclusion is that the closed unit ball is not sequentially compact, and therefore not compact.
Lee33

Homework Statement

Show that the closed ball in ##C([0,1])## of center ##0## and radius ##1## is not compact.2. The attempt at a solution

I was given a hint, to look at the sequence of continuous functions ##f_n(x) = x^n## on the closed ball in ##C([0,1])##. Why is that sequence continuous? Isn't it discontinuous in the closed ball ##[0,1]##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lee33 said:

Homework Statement

Show that the closed ball in ##C([0,1])## of center ##0## and radius ##1## is not compact.

2. The attempt at a solution

I was given a hint, to look at the sequence of continuous functions ##f_n(x) = x^n## on the closed ball in ##C([0,1])##. Why is that sequence continuous? Isn't it discontinuous in the closed ball ##[0,1]##?

Continuity is not a notion that applies to sequences. Convergence is.

I assume you are using the sup metric, [itex]d(f,g) = \sup \{|f(x) - g(x)| : x \in [0,1]\}[/itex].

The function [itex]f_n : x \mapsto x^n[/itex] is continuous (indeed, differentiable) on [itex][0,1][/itex] for any [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. Hence [itex]f_n \in C([0,1])[/itex]. It is straightforward to show that [itex]d(f_n,0) = 1[/itex], so [itex]f_n[/itex] is in the closed unit ball for all [itex]n[/itex].

The question is: Does this sequence converge to a limit in [itex]C([0,1])[/itex] or not? Does it have any subsequences which do? And what does this tell you about the compactness of the closed unit ball in [itex]C([0,1])[/itex]?

But I thought ##f_n : x \mapsto x^n## is not continuous on ##[0,1]## since ##
f(x) = \begin{cases} 1 & \quad \text{if }x= 1 \\ 0 & \quad \text{if }x\in [0,1) \\ \end{cases}##

Lee33 said:
But I thought ##f_n : x \mapsto x^n## is not continuous on ##[0,1]## since ##
f(x) = \begin{cases} 1 & \quad \text{if }x= 1 \\ 0 & \quad \text{if }x\in [0,1) \\ \end{cases}##

##f_n## is a polynomial and is continuous for all ##x##. Surely you know that. All polynomials are.

LCKurtz - Wow, you're right! I should go run outside and clear my mind. Very dumb mistake by me. Thank you both!

What you wrote down is the pointwise limit of ##(f_n)## and indeed the pointwise limit is discontinuous. However ##f_n## is continuous for all ##n##.

Regardless, does the uniform limit of ##(f_n)## exist? Furthermore, does any subsequence ##(f_{n_k})## of ##(f_n)## have a uniform limit? Recall that convergence in ##C([0,1])## is uniform convergence in ##[0,1]##. And if no ##(f_{n_k})## has a uniform limit then what does that tell you about sequential compactness of the closed unit ball in ##C([0,1])##?

Thank you, WannabeNewton! I know what to do now. Since it is not sequentially compact, therefore it is not compact.

1. What is the definition of compactness in mathematics?

Compactness is a mathematical property that describes how a set behaves under certain operations, such as taking limits or intersections. A compact set is one that is closed and bounded, meaning that it contains all of its limit points and is contained within a finite distance from any point within the set.

2. What is the importance of compact sets in topology?

Compact sets play a crucial role in topology, as they allow for the study of continuity and convergence of functions. They also have many other applications in different areas of mathematics, such as in the study of metric spaces and abstract algebra.

3. How is the compactness of a closed ball in C([0,1]) defined?

The compactness of a closed ball in C([0,1]) is defined as the property that the set of continuous functions on the interval [0,1] is closed and bounded in the metric space C([0,1]), where the distance between two functions is measured by the supremum norm.

4. What are the implications of the compactness of a closed ball in C([0,1])?

The compactness of a closed ball in C([0,1]) implies that any sequence of continuous functions on the interval [0,1] has a convergent subsequence, and the limit of this subsequence is also a continuous function on [0,1]. This has important consequences in the study of convergence and continuity of functions.

5. Can the compactness of a closed ball in C([0,1]) be generalized to other spaces?

Yes, the concept of compactness can be generalized to other metric spaces and topological spaces. In particular, the Heine-Borel theorem states that a subset of Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. This result can be extended to other metric spaces using the concept of sequential compactness.