1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real analysis

1. Nov 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let ##S\subset E## where ##E## is a metric space with the property that each point of ##S^c## is a cluster point of ##S.## Let ##E'## be a complete metric space and ##f: S\to E'## a uniformly continuous function. Prove that ##f## can be extended to a continuous function from ##E## into ##E'## and that this extended function is also uniformly continuous.

2. The attempt at a solution

This is a complicated problem for me and I want to know if my reasoning is correct?

Let ##s\in S^c## then since ##s## is a cluster point of ##S## there exists a sequence ##s_n \in S## such that ##s_n \to s## thus ##s_n## is a Cauchy sequence. Since ##f## is a uniformly continuous function and ##E'## is complete then ##f(s_n)## is also a Cauchy sequence that converges in ##E'## to some ##x,## thus we have ##\lim f(s_n) = x.##

Now we want to show that ##f## can be extended to ##E## and that this extension is uniformly continuous, in order to do that we must have that for any sequence in ##E## that converges to ##s## then the image sequence must converge to the same limit ##x.## Therefore we define our extension to be ##\lim g(y_n) = x## for ##y_n \in E.##

Now to prove that this is indeed an extension we must show two things: that is uniformly continuous and that the image sequence converges to the same limit ##x## thus ##\lim g(y_n) = x.##

Is my reasoning correct? Thank you for your time!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted