1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real analysis

1. Jun 4, 2005 #1
    Thomae function f(x):(0,1)->R f(x)=p/q x is rational number (p and q are relatively prime natural number) f(x)=0 x in irrational number show that f is not differrentiable. l can show that this function is not differentiable at rational number. But i can't sequence that is example. not differrentiable at irrational number. how take this sequence.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2005 #2
    please i want to find this sequence quickly.

4. Jun 5, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A good start would be rereading the problem and then writing it down correctly! What you have written makes no sense.
    I presume that means that if is an irrational number then f(x)= 0, but it's not clear to me what f(x) is if x is rational. You say f(x)= p/q but you haven't told us what numbers p and q are.

I might be inclined to guess that you mean "if x is a rational number, x= p/q with p and q relatively prime, the f(x)= 1/q." That's a fairly well known function, often called the "modified Dirichlet function". (The regular Dirichlet function is f(x)= 0 if x is irrational, f(x)= 1 if x is rational.)

If that is the function you are talking about, it can be shown that lim(x->a) f(x)= 0 for all a so the modified Dirichlet function is continuous for all irrational a, discontinuous for rational a. Since a function cannot be differentiable where it is not continuous, if this is the right function, then I presume the problem is to show that this function, even though it is continuous at each irrational number, is not differentiable there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?