1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis

1. Dec 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##O## be a proper open subset of ##\mathbb{R}^d## (i.e.## O## is open, nonempty, and is not equal to ##\mathbb{R}^d##). For each ##n\in \mathbb{N}## let
    ##O_n=\big\{x\in O : d(x,O^c)>1/n\big\}##
    Prove that:
    (a) ##O_n## is open and ##O_n\subset O## for all ##n\in \mathbb{N}##,
    (b) ##O_1\subset O_2 \subset \dots ##, and ##\cup_n O_n=O##
    (c) If ##O_n\neq 0## then ##d(O_n, O^c)\ge \frac{1}{n}##
    (d) If ##O_n\neq 0## then ##d(O_n, O^c_{n+1})\ge \frac{1}{n(n+1)}##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a) solved
    (b) solved
    (c) I'm not sure what the instructor is looking for here since there is no ##n## and no ##x\in O_n## such that ##d(x,O^c)=\frac{1}{n}## since that would contradict the construction of ##O_n##. It seems like the problem statement should be
    If ##O_n\neq 0## then ##d(O_n, O^c)> \frac{1}{n}##.
    (d) ##d(O_n,O^c_{n+1})=d(O_n,O^c)-d(O_{n+1},O^c)\ge \frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1}=\frac{1}{n(n+1)}##

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2014 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

The following just a suggestion, not necessarily a useful "hint":

How do your course materials define the distance between two sets? Perhaps to find [itex] d(O_n, O^c) [/itex] you might have to do something like take a limit of distances [itex] d(x_i,O^c) [/itex] with each [itex] d(x_i,O^c) \gt \frac{1}{n} [/itex] but with the sequence of distances converging to [itex] \frac{1}{n} [/itex].

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  4. Dec 7, 2014 #3
    The distance between the two sets is ##inf d(x_i, y_i)## where ##x_i\in O_n##, ##y_i\in O^c##. But the problem I see is that by part (a) ##O_n## is open (but bounded) hence the lower bound of ##d(O_n, O^c)## is not attainable even though ##O^c## is closed. Also, the limits don't coincide since
    ##lim_{n\to\infty} d(O_n,O^c)\to 1/n## but ##lim_{n\to\infty}1/n\to 0##

5. Dec 7, 2014 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

One need not attain an infimum for it to be an infimum. Let [itex] O [/itex] be the open interval [itex] (0,1) [/itex]. and let [itex] N = 4 [/itex]. I think [itex] O_n [/itex] is the open interval [itex] ( \frac{1}{4}, \frac{3}{4}) [/itex]. What is distance between [itex] O^C [/itex] and [itex] ( \frac{1}{4}, \frac{3}{4})[/itex] ?.

6. Dec 8, 2014 #5
    OK thanks, I guess saying ##d(O_n, O^c)\ge 1/4## is just another way of writing what the lower bound is. I was probably overthinking ( possibly under-thinking) things.

Does part (d) seem correct?

7. Dec 8, 2014 #6

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

You should explain why ##d(O_n,O^c_{n+1})=d(O_n,O^c)-d(O_{n+1},O^c)##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted