1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis

1. Jun 14, 2005 #1
    As far as I have seen on the web, this course is holy abstract.

Anyone willing to discuss the difficulties in it?

Are most people likely to fail it? What's the consensus?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2005 #2
    I think it is the matter of what you can accept. If you are ready to change your mind about what you are told before, this course should not be hard to handle.
  4. Jun 14, 2005 #3
    as long as you have the prereq you should be fine...i jumped in without bexcause well the prereq them selves are a joke but..therer are certain things i needed. eg the proving methods the teacher preferred.
  5. Jun 14, 2005 #4
    I'm taking real analysis next semester along with 4 other math classes. I asked a prof if he thought I could do it and he said of course. I don't think it is that bad. People tend to exaggerate alot. For example when I took differential equations everyone said it was the hardest class in the world and it turned out to be just like anything else, study till you know everything and you will get an A.

If you typically get A's then you know how to study, if you don't get A's then learn how to study. Once you learn how to study you will be fine. By learning how to study I mean you need to be honest with yourself. You need to study until you know all the material inside and out, don't stop studying because you "think" you know the material, really learn it. Many people go into exams without knowing everything, this is a mistake, and leaves room for error.

So basically, don't worry about, just study:)
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  6. Jun 14, 2005 #5
    I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I think it would be better to post this question in here than start a new thread.

Is Numerical Analysis the same as Real Analysis?
  7. Jun 14, 2005 #6

Gold Member

No absolutely not, ryan.

Real Analysis consists of 2 classes - its about calculus and analytical methods, whereas Numerical Methods are methods where Analysis is pointless - rather absolutely impossible - the real world for example. Numerical methods will focus on computational methods of solving a particularly hard problem or problems that dont have an analytical solution - it would be most valuable for science and engineering students, as well as finance

Here let me list the course description:

Real Analysis:
    Study of basic topics in analysis with emphasis
    on methods. Sequences, series, functions,
    uniform convergence, continuity, partial differentiation,
    extreme value problems with
    constraints, Riemann integrals, line integrals,
    improper integrals, integrals with parameters,
    transformations, Riemann-Stieltjes
    integral, uniform and absolute convergence
    of integrals. Beta and Gamma functions.

Numerical Analysis:
    Polynomial interpolation and approximation
    of functions. Divided differences. Leastsquares
    data fitting, orthogonal polynomials.
    Numerical differentiation and
    integration. Solution of nonlinear equations.
    Gaussian elimination, pivoting, iterative
    refinement, conditioning of matrices.
    Numerical solution of ordinary differential
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  8. Jun 14, 2005 #7
    Some institutions obviously differ in prerequisites.

For my institution it's just Calculus II...which is sad because we weren't required to do proofs in that course.
  9. Jun 14, 2005 #8
    Well the first four calculus and ODE's is easy. But courses like linear algebra and real analysis have more logic involved. Proofs are so demanding.

I hate them!
  10. Jun 19, 2005 #9

What are the prerequisites for your analysis course?
  11. Jun 21, 2005 #10
    Okay then, is a mathematical proof course "required"?
  12. Jun 21, 2005 #11
    I wouldn't think so, for me Analysis was the course where I was first introduced to formal proofs. Nothing wrong there. You don't really prove anything before studying analysis - everything in calculus is usually taken on faith, the proofs are left in the appendices. (Unless you take Linear Algebra first... that should be proof-heavy).
  13. Jun 21, 2005 #12
    Could you speculate precisely what exactly is expected that you know well from Calculus I & II to take a second year math course in Analysis?
  14. Jun 23, 2005 #13
    I just finished Calc III, and I didn't have to do proofs in that class still. I think it's a good thing, though. I don't get half the proofs anyway. Even the proof for a limit. I was looking at it the other day, and it makes NO sense to me mathematics-wise. I'll stick to common sense, thank you.

15. Jun 23, 2005 #14

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

in my school the main prereq is being able to do proofs, not any specific facts from calc. indeed the course basically, redoes all the calc but does it carefully with full proofs.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?