Proving Equivalence of {5n | n = 1,2,...} and ℤ

• Thread starter Matt B.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalence
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a way to show that the set of multiples of 5, {5n | n = 1,2,...}, is equivalent to the set of all integers, ℤ. The original approach of defining a function was deemed inaccurate, and the conversation suggests finding a simpler function that maps the numbers in the set to the integers.
Matt B.
How would I go about showing that the set {5n | n = 1,2,...} is equivalent to ℤ.

I previously attempted to define a function f as f(n) = 5n/2 , when n is even AND (-1)[(5n-1)/(2)] , when n is odd. I then went on to show that the chosen function is 1-1 and onto, but my professor said this was inaccurate.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Matt B. said:
How would I go about showing that the set {5n | n = 1,2,...} is equivalent to ℤ.
What are the numbers in your set? It should be almost trivial to set up a 1-1 mapping between the two sets, much simpler than the one you show below.

BTW, homework questions should be posted in the Homework & Coursework sections, not here in the technical math sections.
Matt B. said:
I previously attempted to define a function f as f(n) = 5n/2 , when n is even AND (-1)[(5n-1)/(2)] , when n is odd. I then went on to show that the chosen function is 1-1 and onto, but my professor said this was inaccurate.

Matt B. said:
What is (-1)[(5n-1)/(2)] when n=1 ?

jbriggs444 said:
What is (-1)[(5n-1)/(2)] when n=1 ?
-2??

OK. And what did you want it to be?

jbriggs444 said:
OK. And what did you want it to be?
Do I not need my defined function to be equivalent to all values in ℤ or just any values of ℤ?

Matt B. said:
Do I not need my defined function to be equivalent to all values in ℤ or just any values of ℤ?
Mark44 may have been leading you down a better path in post #2.

Your function is supposed to map values from one set to values in another set. It is supposed to be one to one and onto. We have established that your function takes 1 to -2.

Is 1 a member of the set that you are trying to map to ℤ?

jbriggs444 said:
Mark44 may have been leading you down a better path in post #2.

Your function is supposed to map values from one set to values in another set. It is supposed to be one to one and onto. We have established that your function takes 1 to -2.

Is 1 a member of the set that you are trying to map to ℤ?
I'm confused. So am I simply evaluating 5n at different values for n to deduce my original set that I am trying to map to ℤ? Then that would just be {5,10,15,20,25...} so then my function would just be f(n) = 5n ?

Think of a number in your set as a multiple of a number in ## \mathbb Z ## and show for very number in ## \mathbb Z ## there is one such multiple.

WWGD4444.

I think the advice of :
Mark44
JBriggs444
WWGD4444

Should do it ;).

Matt B. said:
I'm confused. So am I simply evaluating 5n at different values for n to deduce my original set that I am trying to map to ℤ? Then that would just be {5,10,15,20,25...} so then my function would just be f(n) = 5n ?
Yes, that's the simple one I was hinting at. Clearly this is a one-to-one function, so each number in the set {n} gets mapped to a number in the set {5n}, and vice versa.

Edit: I wasn't thinking very clearly on this reply...

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
Yes, that's the simple one I was hinting at. Clearly this is a one-to-one function, so each number in the set {n} gets mappe to a number in the set {5n}, and vice versa.

That gets a bijection between {5, 10, 15, ... } and {1, 2, 3, ... }. But I understood the original post to be asking for a bijection with ℤ = { ..., -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, ... }

Ultimately, you can find a bijection between {##5, 10, 15,... ##} and ## \mathbb N ## and then compose with a not-so-hard bijection between ##\mathbb N, \mathbb Z ##.

jbriggs444 said:
That gets a bijection between {5, 10, 15, ... } and {1, 2, 3, ... }. But I understood the original post to be asking for a bijection with ℤ = { ..., -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, ... }
For some reason, I was thinking (without thinking very hard) that it was the positive integers. I was really thinking ##\mathbb{N}## rather than ##\mathbb{Z}##.

What do you mean equivalent? I beg to differ. ##\mathbb{Z}## is much more dense then your set. I think what you mean is the cardinal is the same. You can prove this via 1 to 1 correspondence.

VKnopp said:
What do you mean equivalent? I beg to differ. ##\mathbb{Z}## is much more dense then your set. I think what you mean is the cardinal is the same. You can prove this via 1 to 1 correspondence.
"Set equivalence" is appropriate here.
See https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Definition:Set_Equivalence
Let S and T be sets.
Then S and T are equivalent if and only if:
there exists a bijection f:S→T between the elements of S and those of T.
The set in the OP should have the same cardinality as the set that is to be found.

jbriggs444 said:

So is it not possible to find a 1-1, onto function that relates the set {5, 10, 15,...} onto the set of all integers?

Matt B. said:
So is it not possible to find a 1-1, onto function that relates the set {5, 10, 15,...} onto the set of all integers?
We didn't say that. See if you can find a way to map some of the numbers in {5, 10, 15, ...} to {0, 1, 2, 3, ...} and the rest of the numbers in {5, 10, 15, ...} to {..., -3, -2, -1}. Or you can follow WWGD's advice in post #12.

Mark44 said:
We didn't say that. See if you can find a way to map some of the numbers in {5, 10, 15, ...} to {0, 1, 2, 3, ...} and the rest of the numbers in {5, 10, 15, ...} to {..., -3, -2, -1}. Or you can follow WWGD's advice in post #12.

Here was my original attempt at the solution. Since I'm not following the discussion, can somebody point out what I am misinterpreting?

Attachments

• IMG_7202.JPG
    IMG_7202.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 347
Mark44 said:

Sorry, it's me again. Since I am trying to map {5, 10, 15, 20, ...} onto {...,-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3} could I use the function f such that f(n) = n/5 when n is even and (-1)(n/5) when n is odd??

Matt B. said:
Sorry, it's me again. Since I am trying to map {5, 10, 15, 20, ...} onto {...,-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3} could I use the function f such that f(n) = n/5 when n is even and (-1)(n/5) when n is odd??
Your set, let's call it S, is {5, 10, 15, 20, ...}
Your function maps the members of S as follows:
5 --> -1
10 --> 2
15 --> -3
20 --> 4
and so on.
No member of S gets paired with 0, 1, -2, 3, -4, and so on, so your function is not onto ##\mathbb{Z}##, hence not one-to-one, so this doesn't work.

Your function just scales the input value by multiplying it. To pick up all of the missing numbers, the function also has to translate or shift, the input values. Can you think of a way for 5 --> -1, 15 --> -2, 25 --> -3, and so on, and for 10 --> 0, 20 --> 1, 30 --> 2, and so on?

Matt B. said:

@Matt B.

Here are some clues using a different problem:

Let's say ## S := \{ 7n : n \in ℕ\} ##

In the elements ## (e) ## in ## (7, 14, 21, 28, 35, 42, ...) ## you were quick to see that by taking the even values and dividing you could reduce the sequence to the naturals...

7 14 21 28 35 42 ... (divide by 7)
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... (take only even values)
2 4 6 ... (take only those which are even)
1 2 3 ... (you've arrived at the naturals!)

So, in this case ## 14|e \rightarrow \frac{e}{14} = ℕ ##. Of course, part of this is shifting from the ## ℕ ## to ## S ##, which is why the divisibility of ## e ## by 14 is required (NB ## 7(2n) \rightarrow 14n ##)

Like Mark44 said, you need to find -W and the remainder of ## S ##. From your original post, it's obvious you are reaching out and finding two important handles on the problem. Yes, the the negation is necessary to reverse the sequence, and it has to do with the odds. But note that the remainder of ## S ## is not ## -ℕ ## but ## -W ##. Think about the difference in the codomains of ## \{2n + 1\} ## and ## \{2n - 1\} ##. What do you notice? You had the right idea, but put it together wrong...

7 14 21 28 35 42 ... (divide by 7)
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... (take only odd values)
1 3 5 ... (now what?)
?
0 -1 -2 -3 ... (this is what you want, right?)

Once you're done, you have to rewrite in terms of ## e ## and ## S ## by combining the set definition with your notation for naturals!
All you have to do is put it together with what you already know. If you really understand it, then you shouldn't have any problems transferring this thinking to your homework problem.

1. What are the two sets being compared in this proof?

The two sets being compared are the set of multiples of 5, {5n | n = 1,2,...}, and the set of integers, ℤ.

2. What does it mean for two sets to be equivalent?

Two sets are equivalent if there exists a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two sets, meaning that every element in one set has a corresponding element in the other set, and vice versa.

3. How can you prove equivalence between two sets?

To prove equivalence between two sets, you must show that there exists a function that maps each element of one set to a unique element in the other set, and that the function is bijective, meaning it is both injective (every element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range) and surjective (every element in the range has a corresponding element in the domain).

4. What is the function used to prove equivalence between {5n | n = 1,2,...} and ℤ?

The function used to prove equivalence between {5n | n = 1,2,...} and ℤ is f(n) = 5n.

5. How can you show that the function f(n) = 5n is bijective?

To show that the function f(n) = 5n is bijective, you must show that it is both injective and surjective. To prove injectivity, you must show that if f(a) = f(b), then a = b. To prove surjectivity, you must show that for every element y in the range of f(n), there exists an element x in the domain such that f(x) = y. In this case, since every element in ℤ has a corresponding multiple of 5 in {5n | n = 1,2,...}, and vice versa, the function is both injective and surjective, and therefore bijective.