1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real analysis

1. Dec 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Mod note: Edited the function definition below to reflect the OP's intent.
    Suppose f:R->R is continuous. Let λ be a positive real number, and assume that for every x in R and a>0,f(ax)=aλ f(x). (a) If λ > 1 show that f is differentiable at 0. (b) If 0 < λ < 1 show that f is not differentiable at 0. (c) If λ=1, show that f is differentiable at 0 if and only if it is linear. (Hint: what is f(0)?)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am considering start the question with f(x)-f(0)/x but how can i find the limit when x approaches 0? f(x)=f(1*x)=1^λf(x) f(0)=f(0*x)=0^λf(x)=0, then is f(x)-f(0)/x = f(x)/x? Then how can i know it's differentiable at 0?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2015 #2
    You must set up a limit, epsilon delta style

4. Dec 6, 2015 #3
    how can i use epsilon delta to prove differentiability?

5. Dec 6, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You are missing parentheses. What you wrote is ##f(x) - \frac{f(0)}{x}##. I'm pretty sure you meant ##\frac{f(x) - f(0)}{x}##. If you don't use LaTeX like I did, you need to write it as (f(x) - f(0))/x.
    What does ^ mean here? It is often used to indicate exponentiation, as in 2^3 = 8.
    Are you using it to indicate "and"?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  6. Dec 6, 2015 #5
    You are right thats what i mean. yea ^ means exponentiation...

7. Dec 6, 2015 #6
    "how can i use epsilon delta to prove differentiability?"

Use the definition of the derivative.

8. Dec 6, 2015 #7

Mark44

Then I'm really confused now. Where does this come from?
    I don't see anything in the problem statement about exponents.

In any case, the above is very ambiguous. For example you have 1^λf(x), which I take to mean ##1^{\lambda}f(x)##, according to the normal rules for the order of operations. I don't know why you would have ##1^{\lambda}##, which equals 1, or ##0^{\lambda}##, which equals 0, as you have elsewhere.

9. Dec 6, 2015 #8
    oh sorry i mistyped the problem. it should be f(ax)=a^lambda f(x) I think 1^lambda=1 because the problem states that lambda>1

10. Dec 6, 2015 #9
    eq0002MP.gif ' of course the a in this definition is not the constant in the definition of f(x)

11. Dec 6, 2015 #10

Mark44

Is it safe to interpret the above as ##f(ax) = a^{\lambda}f(x)##?

12. Dec 6, 2015 #11
    yessss i just realize that f(0)=f(a*0)=a^lambda f(0), well then i totally get lost...

13. Dec 6, 2015 #12
    yea thats what i think to start with but i can't find f(x) and f(0)

14. Dec 6, 2015 #13

Mark44

The OP has to set up a limit, but I don't believe that a delta-epsilon argument is necessary.

15. Dec 6, 2015 #14
    The nice thing about the definition of derivative AND f(x) is that you only need to find the difference, not the actual function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted