1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Real and apparent depth

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    Hi all, I have this problem :

A coin is dipped to the bottom of a water filled container made of an opaque material. Observed from the water surface, the depth of the coin appears to be 2 meters. Find the real depth ( R.I. of water = 1.33 )

Since angles are not given, how do I apply snell's law here ? I would normally find the tangent values of angles of incidence and refraction but as angles are not given, I cannot derive the real depth that way. Sines are not helping here. See attached diagram for reference ( MSPaint work, so might be bad ) - snell's law allows me to find the ratio of CD and BD. After that, I can't do anything.

[PLAIN]http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/4082/38043092.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: Consider that you are observing the coin from almost directly above. So the angles of incidence and refraction are small.

4. Sep 29, 2010 #3
    How'd that help, exactly ? What difference does that make ?

5. Sep 29, 2010 #4

Doc Al

sinθ ≈ tanθ, for one.

6. Sep 29, 2010 #5
    Surely such approximations would lead to slight inaccuracies. What angular ranges are we talking about ?

7. Sep 29, 2010 #6

Doc Al

Play around with some angles and see.

8. Sep 29, 2010 #7
    I would if you suggested me a range .

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook