Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Real and apparent depth

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    Hi all, I have this problem :

A coin is dipped to the bottom of a water filled container made of an opaque material. Observed from the water surface, the depth of the coin appears to be 2 meters. Find the real depth ( R.I. of water = 1.33 )

Since angles are not given, how do I apply snell's law here ? I would normally find the tangent values of angles of incidence and refraction but as angles are not given, I cannot derive the real depth that way. Sines are not helping here. See attached diagram for reference ( MSPaint work, so might be bad ) - snell's law allows me to find the ratio of CD and BD. After that, I can't do anything.

[PLAIN]http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/4082/38043092.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: Consider that you are observing the coin from almost directly above. So the angles of incidence and refraction are small.

4. Sep 29, 2010 #3
    How'd that help, exactly ? What difference does that make ?

5. Sep 29, 2010 #4

Doc Al

sinθ ≈ tanθ, for one.

6. Sep 29, 2010 #5
    Surely such approximations would lead to slight inaccuracies. What angular ranges are we talking about ?

7. Sep 29, 2010 #6

Doc Al

Play around with some angles and see.

8. Sep 29, 2010 #7
    I would if you suggested me a range .

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook