Exploring Real and Complex Roots of z = exp(-z)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation z=exp(-z) and suggests defining z as a+ib and using the polar form of z to find solutions. It also mentions that two complex numbers are equal if their moduli and polar angles are the same.
gmans
of the equation
z= exp(-z)

could someone possibly point me in the right direction to start this problem?
this area of math is still new to me so please go easy
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I moved this thread to the homework section. gmans, what do you mean by the equation that you have written? What is "exp" representing?

Probably, he means:
[tex]z=e^{-z}[/tex]

That's a fun problem. I say start by defining z=a+ib where a and b are real numbers and also note z=|z|exp(i[itex]\Phi[/itex]) the polar form of z, so that you're looking for the solutions to

[tex]|z|e^{i\Phi}=e^{-a-ib}[/tex]

And use the fact that two complex numbers are equal iff their modulus are the same and their polar angle are the same up to a difference of [itex]2n\pi[/itex], [itex]n\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex].

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between real and complex roots?

Real roots are solutions to a polynomial equation that can be expressed as a real number, while complex roots are solutions that involve imaginary numbers. Real roots can also be graphed on a number line, while complex roots are represented on a complex plane.

2. How do I determine if a polynomial equation has real or complex roots?

A polynomial equation with real coefficients will always have either real or complex roots. To determine the type of roots, you can use the discriminant, which is the part of the quadratic formula under the square root sign. If the discriminant is greater than zero, there are two distinct real roots. If the discriminant is equal to zero, there is one real root. If the discriminant is less than zero, there are two complex roots.

3. Can a polynomial equation have both real and complex roots?

Yes, it is possible for a polynomial equation to have both real and complex roots. This occurs when the polynomial has coefficients that are both real and complex numbers. For example, the equation x^2 + 4x + 5 = 0 has both real and complex roots, x = -2 + i and x = -2 - i.

4. What is the significance of complex roots in mathematics?

Complex roots play a crucial role in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and calculus. They are often used to solve equations that cannot be solved with real numbers alone. In addition, complex roots have important applications in physics, engineering, and other fields of science.

5. How do I find the complex roots of a polynomial equation?

To find the complex roots of a polynomial equation, you can use the quadratic formula or the method of completing the square. Additionally, if the polynomial has rational coefficients, you can use the rational root theorem to narrow down the possible values of the roots. You can also use a graphing calculator or computer software to find the roots. However, for higher degree polynomials, finding the exact complex roots may not always be possible and numerical methods may be used instead.