What are Real and Imaginary Numbers and How Do They Relate to Each Other?

In summary, complex numbers are in 1-1 correspondence with points on a plane and can be represented as (a,b) where i is the imaginary number defined as (0,1). The multiplication rule for complex numbers is (a,b)(x,y) = (ax-by, ay+bx) and can be written as a+bi where a and b are real numbers. The solution to the equation x^2 + 1 = 0 is the simplest imaginary number, i, and i * -i = 1.
matt_crouch
Im doing A-level maths at the moment an its nowhere in the sylabus I am just generally interested :D

can anyone giv me like a really simplish explanation :D
cheers

Mathematics news on Phys.org
real numbers are in 1-1 correspondence with points of a line. complex (i.e. "imaginary") numbers are in 1-1 correspondence with points of the plane, and include the real numbers as the special case of the points of the x-axis in the plane.

thus a complex number has 2 coordinates (a,b). To add (a,b)+(x,y) = (a+x,b+y) you add the coordinates separately. to multiply (a,b).(x,y) is more complicated.

the rule is: (a,b).(x,y) = (ax-by, ay+bx). the real numbers are the ones of form (x,0), or just x. Thus notice that (0,1).(0,1) = (-1,0). So we now have a new non real number namely (0,1), whose square equals the real number -1.

If we give a special name, usually i, to the number (0,1), then we can write every complex number (a,b) as a(1,0) + b(0,1) = a + bi, where i^2 = -1.

This explains the multiplication rule, since now we see that (a,b).(x,y) = (a+bi)(x+iy)

= ab + xyi^2 +ayi + bxi = (ab-xy) + i(ay+bx) = (ab-xy, ay+bx).If we also remember the addition laws for sin and cosine, we get that multiplication of two complex numbers, multiplies their lengths (distance from the origin) and adds the angles made by the lines joining them to the origin.

thus we can write every complex number as r(cos(t)+ i sin(t)),

and we have [rcos(t) + i sin(t)][scosu)+i sin(u)] = rs[cos(s+t) + i sin(s+t)]

hows them apples?

As a proud Norwegian, I will add that a compatriot of mine, Caspar Wessel, was the first to formulate the idea of complex numbers as operations done in the "plane", rather than "on the line".

In his original paper, he conceives of the idea of how to "multiply" line segments (all initiating at the origin), whereby he arrived at the strategy of that the product should be a line segment whose length should be the product of the factors' length, and the product line segment's angle to the x-axis should be the sum of the angles the factors made to the x-axis.

Here is a biographical sketch of him, from MacTutor:
http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/Biographies/Wessel.html

Last edited:
A simpler explanation, certainly less thorough than Mathwonk's just given, is that the simplest imaginary number is the solution to the equation, x^2 + 1 = 0. The solution to this equation is the number called i.

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
A simpler explanation, certainly less thorough than Mathwonk's just given, is that the simplest imaginary number is the solution to the equation, x^2 + 1 = 0. The solution to this equation is the number called i.

Do we have a circular reasoning icon in this forum? How can we define a number as being a solution of an equation without having first defined the number? We need to be more formal, let C=R be a field, that contains R (real numbers) and an element i such that i^2=-1 and closed under field operations.
Theorem
All comblex numbers may be written in the form a+bi where a and b are real numbers.
Theorem
(a+bi)+(c+di)=(a+c)+(d+d)i
(a+bi)*(c+di)=(ac-bd)+(ad+bc)i

Sorry for the bump but didn't want to make a new thread for such an easy question >.<

i * -i ? Hmm :P, logic would maybe say 1 but maybe I'm wrong? Any clarification would be appreciated

You are correct, i * -i = 1.
[itex]i \cdot -i = -i^2 = -\sqrt{-1}^2 = -1 \cdot -1 = 1[/itex]

i*-i = -i^2 = -1*(-1) = 1.

1. What are real and imaginary numbers?

Real numbers are numbers that can be found on the number line, including all rational and irrational numbers. Imaginary numbers are numbers that can be written as a real number multiplied by the imaginary unit, i, which is equal to the square root of -1.

2. How are real and imaginary numbers used in mathematics?

Real numbers are used in everyday calculations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Imaginary numbers are used in more complex mathematical concepts, such as graphing and solving equations.

3. What is the difference between real and imaginary numbers?

The main difference between real and imaginary numbers is that real numbers can be plotted on a number line, while imaginary numbers cannot. Additionally, real numbers can be positive, negative, or zero, while imaginary numbers are always expressed as a multiple of i.

4. Can real and imaginary numbers be combined?

Yes, real and imaginary numbers can be combined to form complex numbers. A complex number is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

5. What are some practical applications of real and imaginary numbers?

Real and imaginary numbers have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. They are used to model and solve complex systems, as well as in the development of technologies like electrical circuits and signal processing.