Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real and imaginary of F(ω)

1. May 17, 2014 #1
    I never see the following hypothesis but I believe that they are true...

##\text{Re}(\hat f (\omega)) = a(\omega)##

##\text{Im}(\hat f (\omega)) = b(\omega)##

where:

##f(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\hat f(\omega) \exp(i \omega t) d\omega = \int_{0}^{\infty} a(\omega) \cos(\omega t) + b(\omega) \sin(\omega t) d\omega##

##\hat f (\omega) = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}f(t) \exp(-i \omega t) dt##

##a(\omega) = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(t) \cos(\omega t) dt##

##b(\omega) = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(t) \sin(\omega t) dt##

So, the two first equations are true?

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are missing the definition of ##\hat f(\omega)##.
    From there you should be able to prove (or disprove) the relationships yourself.

4. May 17, 2014 #3
    Is unmistakable that ##\hat f## represents the Fourier transform of ##f## !!!

5. May 17, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Use the fact that [itex]e^{-i\omega t}= cos(\omega t)- i sin(\omega t)[/itex].

6. May 17, 2014 #5
    An phasor in the complex form is ##A \exp(i(\omega t + \varphi)) = A \exp(i \varphi) \exp(i \omega t)##, the summation of phasors wrt angular frequency is ##\sum A(\omega) \exp(i \varphi(\omega)) \exp(i \omega t) \Delta \omega = \sum \hat f(\omega) \exp(i \omega t) \Delta \omega##. So, becomes clear that the ##\text{Abs}(\hat f(\omega)) = A(\omega)## and ##\text{Arg}(\hat f(\omega)) = \varphi(\omega)##.

What I want mean is that I don't understand the relation that a(ω) and b(ω) has with f(ω).

7. May 17, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... but you edited post #1 to include that anyway - thank you ;)
    So your next step was to relate the sine and cosine form to the exponential in the fourier transform re post #4.

As in post #4. ##e^{-i\omega t}=\cos\omega t - i\sin\omega t##
    Make the substitution in the Fourier transformation definition... which you gave as:
    $$\hat f(\omega)=\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(t)e^{-i\omega t}\;dt$$ ... and follow your nose.

Did you try that?

8. May 17, 2014 #7
    Yeah, but I don't see in none place a direct connection between a(ω) and b(ω) with Re(f(ω)) and Im(f(ω)).

9. May 17, 2014 #8

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Please show your working.

10. May 18, 2014 #9
    $$

\\f(x) = \int_{0}^{\infty} A(\omega) \cos(x \omega) + B(\omega) \sin(x \omega) d\omega

\\ = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t)(\cos(\omega t) \cos(\omega x) + \sin(\omega t) \sin(\omega x))dt d\omega

\\ = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t)\cos(\omega(x-t))dt d\omega

\\ = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t)(\exp(i \omega (x-t)) + \exp(-i \omega(x-t)))dt d\omega

\\ = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t) \exp(i \omega (x-t))dt d\omega + \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t) \exp(-i \omega(x-t)) dt d\omega

\\ = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t) \exp(i \omega (x-t))dt d\omega + \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-infty}^{0} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t) \exp(i \omega(x-t)) dt d\omega

\\ = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t) \exp(i \omega(x-t))dt d\omega

\\ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) \exp(-i \omega t) dt \right) \exp(i \omega x) d \omega

\\ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left( \hat f(\omega) \right) \exp(i \omega x) d \omega

$$

11. May 18, 2014 #10
    So...?

12. May 18, 2014 #11

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You started at the wrong place.

Start from your stated definition for ##\hat f## ... the one with the exponential in it. That is your first line.

Your second line should use the substitution for the exponential in terms of sine and cosine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook