1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real and Zero eigenvalues

1. May 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]
    \frac{d\vec{Y}}{dt}
    =
    \begin{bmatrix}
    2 & 4 \\
    3 & 6
    \end{bmatrix}
    \vec{Y}[/tex]
    Find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the eigenvectors to be
    [tex]
    \vec{v_1} =
    \begin{bmatrix}
    2 \\
    \end{bmatrix}
    \vec{v_2} =
    \begin{bmatrix}
    2 \\
    \end{bmatrix}
    [/tex]

I found a widget on Wolfram Alpha that says the second eigenvector should be:
    [tex]
    \begin{bmatrix}
    2 \\
    \end{bmatrix}
    [/tex]

I am more inclined to believe wolfram alpha is correct, but can someone show me why?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2016 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

How are we to determine whether, and if so how, you have made an error if you don't post your working?

4. May 18, 2016 #3
    It was mostly by looking at the matrix and trying to make them the same and now that you say that when I do the algebra on it to post it, I see what I did wrong. I just tried to look at 3 and -2 to find the solution when I should have said 3x-2y=0 and 3x=2y then the vector becomes clear.

5. May 18, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Neither of your ##v_1## or ##v_2## are eigenvectors. If ##A## is your matrix we have ##Av_1 = (8,12)^T##, which cannot be a multiple of ##v_1##: the first component of ##v_1## is larger than the second component, while the opposite is true for ##Av_1##. Similarly, ##v_2## cannot be an eigenvector of ##A## because the components of ##v_2## have opposite signs, while those of ##Av_2## have the same sign.

Also: you did not show the eigenvalues.

6. May 18, 2016 #5
    Eigens are 0,8. The problem was v2 I ommited a negative sign in the first vector on accident.

7. May 18, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I do not understand what you are trying to say. What is the correct ##v_1##? What is the correct ##v_2##? Instead of trying to describe these in words, just show the actual numerical entries.

8. May 18, 2016 #7
    [tex]
    \vec{v_1}=
    \begin{bmatrix}
    -2 \\
    \end{bmatrix}
    \vec{v_2}=
    \begin{bmatrix}
    2 \\
    \end{bmatrix}
    [/tex]

Sory for putting so little work into this, I've got the answer and moved onto the next problem at this point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted