• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Real find both roots of the equation

• Thread starter UnD
  • Start date
UnD
x^2 +6x +k=0 has one root (a) where Im (a) =2, If k is real find both roots of the equation and k

So i got b+ 2i is the root

(b+2i)^2 +6(x+2i) +k=0
and after expanding it out, i have no clue what to do. Please help. THanks

Answers and Replies

Try using the quadratic formula and thinking about what comes underneath the square root in relation to Im(a) = 2

Tide
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You know that if the roots are complex then the two roots are complex conjugates of each other. The sum of the roots is -6 (negative ratio of linear coefficient to quadratic coefficient) so you should be able figure out what what the real part has to be. Once you have a root you can find k.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
UnD said:
x^2 +6x +k=0 has one root (a) where Im (a) =2, If k is real find both roots of the equation and k
So i got b+ 2i is the root
(b+2i)^2 +6(x+2i) +k=0
and after expanding it out, i have no clue what to do. Please help. THanks
I wish you had shown us what you got by expanding it! Clearly that "6(x+ 2i)" should be "6(b+ 2i)" but I don't know whether that's a typo or you actually left the x in your calculation.
Expand it out and set it equal to 0. For a complex number to be equal to 0, both real and imaginary parts must be 0. That gives you two (simple) equations for the two (real) unknown numbers, b and k.

sorry for bumping this topic

but could anyone please explain in detail how this question is done?

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
First try doing it yourself! You said "after expanding it out, i have no clue what to do." and I asked you to show what you got after expanding. You should get a complex number depending on b and k. As I said before, set real and imaginary parts equal to 0 and you get two equations for b and k. Solve those equations.