1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real gas in isolated chamber

1. Jan 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have a real gas in an isolated chamber. The potential between the molecules is described as ##\phi (r)=\phi _0e^{-(\frac{r}{\sigma})^{2}}##, where ##\phi _0=5\times 10^{-4}eV## and ##\sigma =5 nm##. At 300 K we have ##10^{24}## molecules per ##m^3##.

Calculate the second virial coefficient. With that gas in an isolated chamber we suddenly change the volume of the chamber. (This process deserves a name after a gentleman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave-Adolphe_Hirn ). How much does the temperature change if the molecules per ##m^3## are now only ##10^{21}##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having no problems with the first part, but massive ones for the second part.

I just can't find a way to calculate the temperature. How do I do that?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2014 #2
    Blah, nevermind here.

I sincerely apologize. Moderators can delete this topic.

As soon as I published this thread i realized that I can calculate the temperature directly from the equation of state ##p=\frac{Nk_bT}{V}(1+\frac{NB_2}{V})##

Again, apologies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted