Real gas, unable to reach the correct expression

In summary, real gases are gases that do not completely follow the ideal gas law due to their volume and intermolecular forces. This makes it difficult to accurately calculate their behavior, as there is no universal equation that can describe all real gases. The Van der Waals equation is an equation of state that accounts for these factors and is a more accurate representation of real gas behavior, but it still cannot provide a correct expression for all real gases.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider a system of N particles contained in a volume V. The Hamiltonian of the system is ##H=\sum{i=1}^N \frac{\vec p_i}{2m}+\sum _{i<j}u(|\vec r_i - \vec r_j|)## where p_i and r_i are the momentum and position of the i-th's molecule.
1)Show that the state equation of the system is ##\frac{Pv}{kT}=1+v\frac{\partial Z(v,T)}{\partial v }## where v=V/N and ##Z(v,T)=\frac{1}{N}\ln \left [ \frac{1}{V^N} \int d^3r_1... d^3 r _N \Pi _{i<j}(1+f_{ij}) \right ]##

Also ##f_{ij}=f(|\vec r_i -\vec r_j|)## with ##f(r)=e^{-\beta u(r)}-1##.

Homework Equations

Relation between P and Z: ##P=-\left ( \frac{\partial A}{\partial V} \right )_{\beta,N}##
Where ##A=-\frac{1}{\beta}Z_N(\beta, V)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the relevant equations to get ##A(\beta,V,N)=-\frac{1}{\beta} \ln [Z_N(\beta,V)]## so that ##P=\frac{1}{\beta}\frac{\partial}{\partial V} \{ \ln [Z_N(\beta,V)] \}##.
Hence ##\frac{PV}{kT}=V\frac{\partial}{\partial V} \{ \ln [Z_N(\beta,V)] \}##.
Dividing by N I reach ##\frac{Pv}{kT}=v\frac{\partial}{\partial V} \{ \ln [Z_N(\beta, V)] \}##
Now I believe that ##\frac{\partial}{\partial V} \{ \ln [Z_N(\beta,V)] \}=N\frac{\partial}{\partial v} \{ \ln [Z_N(v,\beta)] \}##.
Which yields ##\frac{Pv}{kT}=Nv \frac{\partial}{\partial v} \{ \ln Z_N (\beta ,v) \}=Nv\frac{1}{Z_N(v,\beta)}\cdot\frac{\partial}{\partial v}[Z_N(v,\beta)]##.
This differs from what I should have reached and I see no way to rewrite my expression into the desired one...
Any help on what's going on is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your work on this problem. It seems like you have made some progress in understanding the equations involved, but there are a few errors in your solution that may be causing the discrepancy with the desired result.

Firstly, in the equation ##P=\frac{1}{\beta}\frac{\partial}{\partial V} \{ \ln [Z_N(\beta,V)] \}##, the derivative should be taken with respect to the inverse temperature β, not the volume V. This is because the partition function Z depends on both the temperature and the volume, so we need to take the partial derivative with respect to each of these variables separately.

Secondly, when you divide by N to get ##\frac{PV}{kT}=v\frac{\partial}{\partial V} \{ \ln [Z_N(\beta,V)] \}##, you should also divide the derivative term by N. This is because the derivative will also be affected by the number of particles N, and we want to keep everything in terms of the intensive variables v and β.

Finally, when you write ##\frac{\partial}{\partial V} \{ \ln [Z_N(\beta,V)] \}=N\frac{\partial}{\partial v} \{ \ln [Z_N(v,\beta)] \}##, this is not correct. The derivative on the left side should be taken with respect to the inverse temperature β, not the intensive variable v. So the correct expression should be ##\frac{\partial}{\partial \beta} \{ \ln [Z_N(\beta,V)] \}=N\frac{\partial}{\partial v} \{ \ln [Z_N(v,\beta)] \}##.

With these adjustments, you should be able to get to the desired result of ##\frac{Pv}{kT}=1+v\frac{\partial}{\partial v} \{ \ln [Z_N(v,\beta)] \}##. I hope this helps clarify any confusion and leads you to the correct solution.

1. What is a real gas?

A real gas is a gas that does not completely obey the ideal gas law, which is based on the assumptions of no intermolecular forces and infinitely small gas particles. Real gases have volume, and the particles in a real gas attract and repel each other.

2. What is the difference between a real gas and an ideal gas?

The main difference between a real gas and an ideal gas is that real gases have volume and intermolecular forces, while ideal gases do not. Real gases also do not completely follow the ideal gas law, while ideal gases do.

3. Why is it difficult to calculate the behavior of real gases?

It is difficult to calculate the behavior of real gases because there is no general equation that can accurately describe the behavior of all real gases. Each real gas has its own unique characteristics and behavior, making it challenging to develop a universal expression.

4. What is the Van der Waals equation and how does it relate to real gases?

The Van der Waals equation is an equation of state that accounts for the volume and intermolecular forces of real gases. It modifies the ideal gas law by adding correction terms for these factors, making it a more accurate representation of real gas behavior.

5. Can real gases ever reach the correct expression?

No, real gases cannot reach the correct expression as there is no single expression that can accurately describe the behavior of all real gases. However, by using equations of state like the Van der Waals equation, we can get closer to predicting the behavior of real gases.