Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real hard Diff.-Equation

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    Hi everone, i am trying to Solve the N.-St.-equation for a special problem - i was able to solve my equation for the 2 velocity components - the 3rd velocity component i seperetated - one term of the Seperation i was able to solve with a Bessel function, the 2nd term now looks like this:

h[z]'' - 2 α Tan(z) h[z]' + ((λ*2α)/c2 - 1/Cos[z]^2) h[z] = 0

h[z] = ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2
    Maple solves your ODE via Legendre functoins.

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3
    thank you

i tried also to solve it with mathematica or wolfram alpha - i now get an solution, what is a little bit strange, because the last few days mathematica was not able to solve my equation, probably all my transformations of the equation were useful - i hope so, but i am afraid, that i made a small mistake somewhere !

I will controll my equation and the transformation steps tomorrow, then i will know if i posted the correct form of the formula here !

But still, in case the posted formula is correct, some more Information how to solve the equation would be useful

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook