Positive Focal Length Image - Real, Diminished, Inverted and Smaller?

In summary, the conversation discusses a confusion regarding the properties of a positive focal length image, specifically the terms Real, Diminished, Inverted, and Smaller. The question asks if Diminished and Smaller are the same thing, to which it is clarified that they are both equivalent and can be used interchangeably in physics terms.
Air
This is a simple wording confusion. On one question that I did, the property for a positive focal length image was Real, Diminished and Inverted. On another question of the same type, the property for a positive focal length image was Real, Inverted and Smaller.

So, my confusion is the Diminished and Smaller property. Are they both the same thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Air said:
So, my confusion is the Diminished and Smaller property. Are they both the same thing?
Yes.

Which one is more suitable in physics terms? Should I write Smaller or Diminished?

Air said:
Which one is more suitable in physics terms? Should I write Smaller or Diminished?
It doesn't matter, they are both equivalent.

1. What is a positive focal length image?

A positive focal length image is an image produced by a lens or optical system that has a positive focal length. This means that the image is formed on the opposite side of the lens from the object and is real, meaning it can be projected onto a screen.

2. How is a positive focal length image created?

A positive focal length image is created when an object is placed in front of a lens or optical system with a positive focal length. The light rays from the object are refracted by the lens and converge to form a real image on the opposite side of the lens.

3. What does it mean for a positive focal length image to be diminished?

A diminished positive focal length image is smaller in size compared to the object. This occurs when the distance between the object and the lens is greater than the focal length of the lens, causing the image to be smaller in size.

4. Why is a positive focal length image inverted?

A positive focal length image is inverted because of the way light rays are refracted by the lens. The light rays from the top of the object are bent towards the bottom of the image, and vice versa, resulting in an inverted image.

5. How is the size of a positive focal length image determined?

The size of a positive focal length image is determined by the magnification of the lens, which is the ratio of the image size to the object size. A positive magnification indicates a smaller image size, while a negative magnification indicates a larger image size.