Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real life azimuth problem

1. Aug 26, 2014 #1
    Draw this description out on a piece of paper if you would like. I cannot figure this out, it has been years since I have done math at this level.

I am standing at point A and have a distance of 87.8333 feet to Point B, my azimuth bearing is 123 degrees. I want to move over 20 feet and find the bearing to the same point B, this distance will also be 87.8333 feet. So I want to triangulate. The question is: What would my new azimuth bearing be to get to Point B, also please show how to solve. Note: I am dealing with geomagnetic bearings, no need to convert to True North.

Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2014 #2
    Oh my goodness, after posting above I was sitting here thinking and I remembered 2 pi r squared.

so 2 x r x pi = circumference Divided by 360 times 20 gives me the new bearing. basics basics, thanks anyway to all of you.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted