Generating Real Numbers: Is It Possible?

In summary: Similarly, any series or formula for the reals would require some sort of evaluation or limiting process for irrational numbers, making it impossible to generate the reals in order.
cragar
Could it be possible to come up with a formula or infinite series or continued fraction to generate the real numbers? I might have to change something in my formula to generate another real. I couldn't just change one of my numbers in the formula because then i would be saying there is a one-to-one correspondence between the naturals and the reals and there isn't. But what if I used irrational numbers to change my formula or something like that.
And i don't think we could generate the reals in order because there is no next real on the number line, maybe its not possible, what do you guys think.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by a "formula"? A formula in terms of what kind of "variable"? integers? rational numbers? Neither of those is possible because the set of all rational numbers (and so the set of all integers) are both countable while the set of all real numbers is uncountable. If you allow real numbers as variables, then the simplest such formula is "f(x)= x". That will give every real numbers as a function of some real number x!

okay what i mean is, and this probabaly won't work because their uncountable . But i can write e^x as a series and then evaulate e with this series, so why couldn't I write a series for every real number.

cragar said:
okay what i mean is, and this probabaly won't work because their uncountable . But i can write e^x as a series and then evaulate e with this series, so why couldn't I write a series for every real number.

Well you really can't write e^x as a series. What I mean is, you can't write down the entire series. What we do is write out an expression for the general term of the series; or we write down a finite number of terms of the series and end with dot dot dot. In either case we are writing a finite-length expression.

There are only countably many finite-length expressions from a finite or countable alphabet (you should prove this for yourself, it will give you a good feel for the countable nature of the set of finite expressions).

But there are uncountably many reals. So most of the reals can not be described by a finite expression.

If we allowed infinite expressions, then any real could be expressed by some infinite expression. For example we could write down the entire decimal expansion of each real. So if we allow for expressions of infinite length, there are indeed uncountably many of those.

Writing [itex]e^x[/itex] as a series still requires that you evaluate it for irrational x to get all real numbers as values.

1. Can real numbers be generated using a computer?

Yes, real numbers can be generated using a computer through various algorithms and mathematical operations.

2. Is it possible to generate all real numbers?

No, it is not possible to generate all real numbers as there are infinitely many real numbers and computers have limited storage and processing capabilities.

3. What methods are used to generate real numbers?

The most commonly used methods for generating real numbers are decimal expansion, using mathematical formulas, and random number generation algorithms.

4. Are there any limitations to generating real numbers?

Yes, there are limitations to generating real numbers as computers have limited precision and can only generate a finite number of digits. Additionally, certain operations may result in rounding errors.

5. Can real numbers be generated to an infinite precision?

No, computers have limited precision and can only generate a finite number of digits. However, advanced techniques such as interval arithmetic can be used to represent real numbers with a higher precision.