Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real or not

1. Jan 13, 2004 #1
    okay, so i have a car. it breaks. saying "the car stops working" inplys it's still a car, even though it no longer fuctions as a car, its still a car.

so, i could make a DVD writer for my PC out of a block of cheese and some duct tape, right? seeing as something doesnt have to work in order for it to be that "something"....? o_O

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2004 #2

nix

the car stops working implies that the car has previously worked and functioned as a car...this means that even though the car has ceased to work, it has the potential...just needs for example a new battery

thecheese dvd writer, probably has none of the functioning units of a dvd writer and has never worked as one, and realistically doesnt have any potential to do so...so not real

4. Jan 13, 2004 #3
    But, i ask you this, if i where to add all of the neccesary components to the cheesiedvd to makie it look like one, would u be able to call it a dvd writer? If i had the chassis of the car would i be able to call it a car?

Ah, an even better example, all i need is a metal skeleton and i would be a Terminator! So could i call myself a Terminator just because with one additional extra i could become one?

5. Jan 13, 2004 #4
    If the car doesn't work, it becomes a 2 ton door stop, it's just more difficult to place it in front of a door than the 2 lb variety.

I don't think you will find much call for the cheese DVD burner, too much hassle to keep it refrigerated between uses.

6. Jan 13, 2004 #5
    if a car that doesnt work is no longer a car, i shouldnt still have to pay tax for it, but i do.

so it boils down to the "it first has to work to be that item"....

what about a probe to mars. we made a probe to mars. it didnt get to mars, but it was still a probe to mars. oh, bbl, my CPU is melting my DVD writer.

7. Jan 13, 2004 #6
    I would say the reason the non-fuctioning car is still a car is because the fact it doesn't work has not changed its design essence. In other words, I agree with nix. The best use you can make of a non-functioning car is to restore it to functioning as a car, finances permitting.

Likewise cheese with duct tape completely fails to acquire any of the design essence of a DVD burner, while retaining it's component design essences as food and fastener, respectively. Calling it a non-functioning DVD burner is just plain inaccurate.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2004
  8. Jan 13, 2004 #7
    Well, a door stop would be nice.

What about an item that was supposed to function a certain way, but it was broken before it came out of the box?

9. Jan 13, 2004 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

10. Jan 14, 2004 #9

jimmy p

Gold Member

Why dont u convert your car into a DVD burner seeing as it is more likely to have the components and use the cheese as a door stop? problem solved

11. Jan 14, 2004 #10
    You know im Right.

12. Jan 14, 2004 #11

nix

for this one i think if you actually had a functional probe, it is a real probe..but not a probe to mars..because it wont get to mars..

broken or it doesn't work? because if it was broken, as in a piece fell of, it still is real because it has all it needs to function

if an object was supposeed to function a certain way but it doesnt and never did, would it be real? Say i intended to make a flashlight and used all the components, but it didnt work anyway?

mmm...im getting cravings for grilled cheese

13. Jan 14, 2004 #12
    If i had a Metal skeleton would i be a Terminator?

14. Jan 14, 2004 #13

nix

what do you mean?

do you mean if you were a machine?

if so then no, a terminator is a machine that was designed to kill other machines ( i think?)
    even if you had a metal skeleton, you would still lack the purpose of the terminator

15. Jan 14, 2004 #14
    But if i ahd the Metal skeleton, all i would need is the Machine Brain and then i would be able to be a terminator.

16. Jan 14, 2004 #15

nix

But you lack the essential component of the machine brain which makes up the terminator...WAIT! is this your way of telling me that a car lacking the essential component of the battery is not a car?

but in the car case it already functioned as a car, if you previously had a machine brain and you lost it, then i suppose you are a terminator just w/o a brain..lol..."if i only had a brain"-wizard of oz

17. Jan 14, 2004 #16
    So lets get this sorted, if i had a metal skeleton i wouldnt be a terminator.

If i swapped my human brain for a machine brain i would be.

So...if i where to swap my machine brain back with my human brain would i still be a terminator. And if i had the machine brain and skeleton would i still be a human?

18. Jan 14, 2004 #17
    You'd be Andy with a metal skeleton.
    Getting ripped off. Nothing is worth swapping your brain for.
    Andy with a terminator skeleton.
    Nope.

19. Jan 15, 2004 #18
    Now im not sure whether your agreeing with my or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?