1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real part of a complex number

1. Sep 25, 2006 #1
    Hello there,
    I've been given the task of find the real part for the following expression

[tex]\sqrt{x+iy}[/tex]

And I'm a bit stuck. I figure that I'll just say that that equation is equal to some other imaginary number a+bi where 'a' is the real part and 'b' is the imaginary part, and try to solve for a. But after squaring both sides i get stuck immediately...

[tex]x+iy = a^2 + 2abi - b^2[/tex]

And i don't know where to go. Perhaps I'm going the wrong way with this one, any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Ok, i've made some progress...

I know then that

[tex]x = a^2 - b^2[/tex]
    and
    [tex]iy = 2abi[/tex]

So i try to get rid of the b term in the real one, but the only substitution I can make results in a y term being introduced into the real part, which is just adding another imaginary number in there...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aren't you trying to express a and b in terms of x and y?

No it's not -- y is not imaginary.

4. Sep 25, 2006 #3
    ooh, after seeing iy i just labeled both as being imaginary, but i suppose that's not true...i'll keep working then!

edit: i still seem to get stuck pretty quickly...

making the substitution [tex]b=\frac{y}{2a}[/tex] and plugging that into [tex]x=a^2-b^2[/tex] gets me to:
    [tex]x=a^2- \frac{y^2}{4a^2}[/tex]
    And again, i feel stuck. I've tried putting them over a common denominator, but that doesn't seem to lead anyplace useful...

5. Sep 25, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Getting a common denominator is one way but the better way to handle equations with fractions is to multiply the entire equation by the "common" denominator- here just 4a2. If you do that you get the quartic equation [itex]4a^2= 4a^4- y^2[/itex] or [itex]4a^4- 4a^2- y^2= 0[/itex]. That's actually a quadratic equation in a2.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  6. Sep 25, 2006 #5
    OK...tell me if this looks ok...it's really ugly and there's step or two which i'm not confident about:

[tex]0=a^2-\frac{y^2}{4a^2}-x[/tex]
    [tex]0=\frac{4a^4 - 4xa^2 - y^2}{4a^2}[/tex]
    [tex]0=4a^4 - 4xa^2 - y^2[/tex]

[tex]a^2 = \frac{4x \pm \sqrt{16x^2 - (4*4*-y^2)}}{2*4}[/tex]

[tex]a^2 = \frac{4x \pm \sqrt{16x^2 + 16y^2}}{8}[/tex]

[tex]a^2 = \frac{4x \pm \sqrt{16(x^2+y^2)}}{8}[/tex]

[tex]a^2 = \frac{4x \pm 4\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}{8}[/tex]

[tex]a^2 = \frac{x \pm \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]a=\sqrt \frac{x \pm \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}{2}}[/tex]

Can i leave it like that? (you may need to refresh the screen, i've fixed the tex)

7. Sep 26, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that looks good- except of course that you should have a [itex]\pm[/itex] on the outside and you don't really need the one inside the square root, only +. Taking the negative would make a imaginary and it must be real.

You can check by looking at some simple examples. Suppose x is positive, y= 0. What does that formula give? Suppose x is negative, y=0. Suppose x= 0, y= 1. (The square root of i is [itex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(1+ i)[/itex] and [itex]-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(1+ i)[/itex].)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  8. Sep 26, 2006 #7
    alright, thanks for the pointers there, i can't say i've run accross many solutions with a root inside a root, seemed a bit odd to me...thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?