How can Euler's formula be used to show the real part of a traveling wave?

• Thread starter eximius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the equation for a traveling wave can be expressed as the real part of the wave being equal to cos(kx)cos(wt) + sin(kx)sin(wt). To solve for this, Euler's formula can be used to simplify the equation and solve for the real part. The - symbol may seem confusing, but it can be left in and applied in the formula.
eximius

Homework Statement

A traveling wave f(x,t) = ei(kx -wt). Show that the real part of the wave can be written as cos(kx)cos(wt) + sin(kx)sin(wt)

Homework Equations

Euler e = cos(θ) + isin(θ)

Also ei(θ12) = e1 . e2

The Attempt at a Solution

The - symbol is throwing me off and I can't find any examples to help me out. Does the second equation I gave above become e1 / e2? And then carry on and cancel out to get the answer?

Any and all help appreciated thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
eximius said:
Does the second equation I gave above become e1 / e2?
I don't think that would help. Just leave the - sign in and apply Euler's formula.

1. What is the real part of a travelling wave?

The real part of a travelling wave refers to the physical displacement or amplitude of the wave as it propagates through a medium. It represents the actual movement of the particles in the medium as the wave passes through.

2. How is the real part of a travelling wave different from the imaginary part?

The real part and imaginary part of a travelling wave are mathematical components of a complex-valued function that describes the wave. The real part represents the physical displacement, while the imaginary part represents the phase or timing of the wave.

3. What factors affect the real part of a travelling wave?

The real part of a travelling wave is affected by the properties of the medium through which it travels, such as density, elasticity, and temperature. The frequency and amplitude of the wave also play a role in determining the real part.

4. How does the real part of a travelling wave relate to the speed of the wave?

The speed of a travelling wave is determined by the frequency and wavelength of the wave, which are related to the real part of the wave. As the real part increases, the wavelength decreases, causing the wave to travel at a faster speed.

5. Can the real part of a travelling wave be negative?

Yes, the real part of a travelling wave can be negative. This indicates that the particles in the medium are moving in the opposite direction of the wave's propagation. It is common for waves to have both positive and negative values for the real part as they oscillate back and forth.