Real photo of an atom or maybe quark?

In summary, the speaker is seeking real photos of atoms and molecules for a physics presentation but has been unable to find any through Google. They express hope that someone in the conversation may have access to such photos. Another speaker then provides a link to images of atoms taken with a scanning tunneling microscope.
nerubz

Homework Statement

I'm making a sort of physics presentation because I'm graduating high-school soon and my physics so far sucks and the low grades won't let me go in university... anyway I need to make it look more scientific, not like an illustrated book for kids. That's why I need some REAL photos of atoms, molecules (quarks would be awesome). But please, only real photos, not drawing, 3d animation etc etc.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been Google-ing for a freaking day and I couldn't find anything. You are my last hope :)

P.S. I'm not really sure that such photos exist, but I had to ask

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well you've been googling all day for nothing. there are no photographs of atoms. There are 3D representations of atoms from scanning tunneling electron microscopes and the likes.

1. What does an atom or quark look like?

An atom or quark is incredibly small and cannot be seen with the naked eye. It is made up of even smaller particles called protons, neutrons, and electrons. These particles are constantly moving, making it impossible to capture a photo of an individual atom or quark.

2. Is it possible to take a photo of an atom or quark?

No, it is not possible to take a photo of an individual atom or quark. Due to their incredibly small size, they cannot be captured by traditional photography methods. Scientists use specialized equipment such as particle accelerators and electron microscopes to study atoms and quarks.

3. Why are there no real photos of atoms or quarks?

Atoms and quarks are too small to be captured by light, which is what is used in photography. In order to see them, scientists use other methods such as scattering particles or using x-rays. These techniques create images or data that can be used to study atoms and quarks, but they are not actual photos in the traditional sense.

4. Can we estimate the shape of an atom or quark?

Yes, scientists have used various experiments and calculations to estimate the shape of an atom or quark. However, it is important to note that these are just theoretical models and may not accurately reflect the true shape of these particles.

5. How do we know that atoms and quarks exist if we can't see them?

While we cannot see atoms and quarks with our eyes, we have evidence of their existence through various experiments and observations. Scientists have been able to observe the behavior of these particles through their interactions with other particles and through the use of advanced technology. Additionally, the theories and models that have been developed to explain the behavior of atoms and quarks have been extensively tested and have consistently been proven to be accurate.