Real Physics Jobs: Career Opportunities in Physics

In summary, the individual is starting a Physics degree at Durham Uni in October and plans to pursue a PhD afterwards. They are curious about job opportunities in the field of Physics, specifically outside of academia. They mention companies that employ researchers, aside from CERN, and acknowledge that it may be a premature concern. They are directed to a helpful forum thread discussing employment in physics.
ylem
Hey!

I'm about to start a Physics degree (MPhys) in October at Durham Uni, and afterwards I think I want to do a PhD.

Just wondering what type of jobs are out there (not like being an accountant, like a real Physics job) apart from working in a university doing research and lecturing (that's what I'm after, but I know there aren't many jobs doing that!)?? Like are there companies that employ people to do research (like Chemists) (other than CERN)?

I know I'm thinking far a head, I'm just wondering...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot! I'll have a look!

1. What types of careers are available for physicists?

There are a variety of career opportunities for physicists, including research and development positions in industries such as aerospace, energy, and telecommunications, as well as teaching and academia, government and policy work, and data analysis and consulting roles.

2. What skills are required for a career in physics?

To succeed in a physics career, one needs to have a strong foundation in mathematics and analytical thinking, as well as excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Additionally, strong communication skills and the ability to work well in a team are also important for many physics jobs.

3. What level of education is needed for a physics career?

Most physics jobs require at least a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, such as engineering or astronomy. However, for more advanced research and teaching positions, a master's or a doctorate degree may be required.

4. Are there any specific industries that offer job opportunities for physicists?

Physicists can find job opportunities in a wide range of industries, including government agencies, research laboratories, universities, and private companies. Some of the specific industries that often employ physicists include aerospace, energy, healthcare, and technology.

5. What is the job outlook for physicists?

The job outlook for physicists is generally positive, with a projected growth rate of 7% from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is higher than the average growth rate for all occupations, and reflects the increasing demand for experts in fields such as renewable energy, medical technology, and data analysis.