Webpage title: Does Real Quantum Randomness Play a Role in Evolution?

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of real quantum randomness in the process of evolution and the minimum amount of information necessary for complex lifeforms to emerge. It also explores the possibility of simulating evolution in a computer using pseudo random numbers and the potential limitations on the complexity of virtual lifeforms. The experts suggest that while determinism may not create information, it also does not limit the information present in the initial state. They also argue that a balance between patterns and complexity is necessary for life to exist, which may involve both deterministic and random processes. However, more advanced research is needed to fully understand the role of determinism and randomness in evolution.
DrZoidberg
I'm womdering if real quantum randomness is important for evolution to work. In a universe without randomness i.e. where the future is predetermined, the amount of information contained inside the universe would be constant. No matter how old it is, the information content of the universe would be the same as that of the equations describing the laws of physics there. So is it possible for life to evolve anyway and what is the minimum amount of information necessary for complex lifeforms to emerge?
What about simulating evolution in a computer? If the simulation uses only pseudo random numbers will that put limits on the complexity of the virtual lifeforms?

Physics news on Phys.org
DrZoidberg said:
I'm womdering if real quantum randomness is important for evolution to work. In a universe without randomness i.e. where the future is predetermined, the amount of information contained inside the universe would be constant. No matter how old it is, the information content of the universe would be the same as that of the equations describing the laws of physics there. So is it possible for life to evolve anyway and what is the minimum amount of information necessary for complex lifeforms to emerge?
What about simulating evolution in a computer? If the simulation uses only pseudo random numbers will that put limits on the complexity of the virtual lifeforms?
I don't think the amount of information is related to determinism vs. randomness, it's related to the issue of discreteness vs. continuousness. Determinism won't create information, that's true, but it also doesn't limit the information that is already present in the initial state. Old-style Newtonian mechanics was completely deterministic, but also involved an unlimited amount of information, because positions and velocities were treated as exact and continuous. So even a single particled encoded an infinite amount of information in every instant-- regardless of whether its motion was determined or random or anything else.

But I think what you are really asking is, how much information is required to have a living creature? If the initial data is patterned, then introducing randomness will increase the complexity and the information content. Yet patterns seem important for life-- we tend to associate life with a local drop in entropy, so a reduction in the information and an increase in patterning. Yet the patterns must themselves be highly complex. It seems to me that this must involve processes that can create and reproduce simple patterns out of what is originally random, and also processes that can increase complexity, perhaps via a dose of randomness, but deterministic processes could do it too (witness artificial intelligence and cellular automata and so on).

So I don't know, but I'd guess that you need some determinism to have life, because there has to be something predictable to maintain the delicately balanced processes that life requires. But there also needs to be some processes involved that are either effectively random, or really random-- but I don't see where that difference is ever crucial. The key seems to be a kind of balancing act between having patterns and having complexity, and certainly the mathematical treatment of chaotic phenomena can exhibit both patterned and unpatterned behavior while still being deterministic. That doesn't seem to be the key issue, but probably AI needs to be vastly more advanced than it is now to answer your question.

1. What is real randomness?

Real randomness refers to a process or phenomenon that cannot be predicted or controlled, and is not influenced by any external factors. It is a fundamental concept in statistics and probability, and is essential in understanding evolution.

2. How does randomness play a role in evolution?

Randomness plays a crucial role in evolution as it is the driving force behind the variation in genetic traits within a population. Random mutations in DNA, as well as random events such as natural disasters, can lead to changes in the gene pool and ultimately drive the process of natural selection.

3. Is evolution truly random?

While randomness plays a significant role in the process of evolution, it is not the only factor at play. Natural selection, which is driven by the environment and the survival of the fittest, also plays a crucial role in shaping the direction of evolution. Therefore, while there is an element of randomness, evolution is not entirely random.

4. Can real randomness be observed in nature?

Real randomness can be observed in nature in various forms. Random genetic mutations and the random distribution of resources in the environment are just a few examples of real randomness in action. However, it is important to note that some seemingly random events may have underlying patterns or causes that are yet to be discovered.

5. How do scientists study and analyze real randomness in evolution?

Scientists use various statistical and mathematical models to study and analyze real randomness in evolution. These models allow them to make predictions and test hypotheses about the patterns of genetic variation and natural selection. Additionally, experiments and observations in the natural world also provide valuable insights into the role of randomness in evolution.