Understanding VT Graphs: Measuring Displacement and Acceleration

• Thread starter hype_chicky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary, the conversation discusses how to measure displacement and acceleration using VT graphs. The speaker asks for help in constructing A and D graphs based on a given VT graph. The response suggests dividing the graph into triangles and trapeziums to calculate the area, and using the formula (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1) to find the slope of the lines, which represents acceleration.
hype_chicky
hey everyone,
so i kno that the area underneath the lines represent displacement and that the slope of the lines on vt graphs represent acceleration but how do i go about measurign them and actually getting numbers answers? See the question i am trying to answer shows a vt graph and asks me to construct a a and d graph corresponding with it...help would be much appreciated thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
well if the graph is just consists of straight lines then divide it into triangles and trapeziums and calculate the area.
as for finding the slope of the lines use this (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1). it is the "rise" over "run".

Hi there,

To measure displacement on a VT graph, you can use the formula: displacement = velocity x time. This means that you can calculate the displacement by finding the area under the line on the graph. The units for displacement would be in meters (m) or any other unit of length, depending on the context of the problem.

To measure acceleration on a VT graph, you can use the formula: acceleration = change in velocity / change in time. This means that you can calculate the acceleration by finding the slope of the line on the graph. The units for acceleration would be in meters per second squared (m/s²) or any other unit of acceleration, depending on the context of the problem.

To construct an A (acceleration) and D (displacement) graph corresponding to the VT graph, you can plot the acceleration and displacement values on a separate graph with time as the x-axis. The acceleration values would be represented by the slope of the line at each point, and the displacement values would be represented by the area under the line at each point.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your problem!

1. What is a "Real simple vt graph"?

A "Real simple vt graph" is a type of graph that represents the relationship between velocity (v) and time (t) for an object. It is a simple graph that plots the velocity on the y-axis and time on the x-axis.

2. How is a "Real simple vt graph" different from other types of graphs?

A "Real simple vt graph" is different from other types of graphs because it specifically shows the relationship between velocity and time. Other graphs may show different relationships, such as distance versus time or acceleration versus time.

3. What does the slope of a "Real simple vt graph" represent?

The slope of a "Real simple vt graph" represents the acceleration of an object. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration.

4. How can I use a "Real simple vt graph" to calculate the velocity of an object?

To calculate the velocity of an object using a "Real simple vt graph", you can use the formula v = Δd/Δt, where v is the velocity, Δd is the change in distance, and Δt is the change in time. You can find the values for Δd and Δt by looking at the points on the graph.

5. Can a "Real simple vt graph" be used for objects with changing velocities?

Yes, a "Real simple vt graph" can be used for objects with changing velocities. The slope of the graph will represent the average velocity over a certain time interval, and you can calculate the instantaneous velocity at a specific time by finding the slope of the tangent line at that point.