1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real value of sin(i)

1. Feb 4, 2016 #1
    I am calculating a value and want to find the real value of sin(i). I can use series expansion and only take the terms without i (correct?) but is there any nicer way to express the result of taking the real value of sin(i)?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Feb 4, 2016 #3
    I used the imaginary exponentials and found ## \sin(i) = \frac{e^{-1} - e}{2i} ## but this seems purely imaginary...from the sum expansion of sin, it appeared that there were real values for the even power terms. Any advice you have for addressing what I am missing here since I'm looking for the real value would be great!

5. Feb 4, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Indeed, ##\sin(i)## is purely imaginary. If you look at the series expansion of ##\sin(i)##, you'll see that only ##i^{\text{odd power}}## appear in this expansion. And as you know, ##i^{\text{odd power}} = \pm i##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook