Calculating Real Values of Expressions

• Thread starter omega360
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expressions
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the least possible real value of an expression, with suggestions to take the derivative, set it equal to zero, and check each occurrence. The conversation also mentions Richardson's theorem for more complicated expressions and the specific example of finding the minimum value of the expression (n^2 - 3n + \sqrt{n-3} - \sqrt{n-3}). The conclusion is that the minimum value would be n=3/2 and val=-9/4.
omega360
i'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this but i need to know what a real value of an expression is. also can anyone tell how i could find the least possible real value of an expression.

Physics news on Phys.org
omega360 said:
also can anyone tell how i could find the least possible real value of an expression.

Without context, how could we know how to answer this?

My best guess would be "take the derivative, set it equal to zero, and check each occurrence". There are less advanced answers (for those who don't know calculus yet) and more advanced answers (Richardson's theorem says if the expression is sufficiently (not very!) complicated, it's undecidable in general).

could you tell me how to find the least possible real value of this expression:(where n is a real number)
(n squared) minus (3n) plus [the square root of (n – 3)] minus [the square root of (n – 3)]

[tex]n^2 - 3n + \sqrt{n-3} - \sqrt{n-3}[/tex]is what you wrote, and the last two terms cancel so it probably wasn't what you wanted.

Well, that would make it easy to find the minimum...

Agreed. Just to make sure we're on the same page, the answer would be

n=3/2, val=-9/4

True story?

1. What is the process for calculating the real value of an expression?

The process for calculating the real value of an expression involves substituting the given values or variables into the expression and then performing the necessary mathematical operations to simplify the expression. The final result is the real value of the expression.

2. What is the difference between a real value and an imaginary value?

A real value is a numerical value that can be represented on a number line and is not a complex number, while an imaginary value is a complex number that includes the imaginary unit, i, which is equal to the square root of -1. Real values are associated with real-world quantities, while imaginary values are used in more abstract mathematical concepts.

3. Can an expression have more than one real value?

Yes, an expression can have multiple real values if it contains variables or if the given values result in multiple solutions. This is often seen in quadratic equations, where the solution is a set of two real values.

4. How do parentheses affect the calculation of real values?

Parentheses can affect the calculation of real values by changing the order of operations. Expressions inside parentheses are typically calculated first, and then the result is used in the rest of the expression. It is important to follow the rules of parentheses when calculating real values to ensure accuracy.

5. Can technology, such as calculators or computers, be used to calculate real values?

Yes, technology can be used to calculate real values. Calculators and computers have the ability to perform complex mathematical operations quickly and accurately, making them useful tools for calculating real values of expressions. However, it is important to understand the process and steps involved in calculating real values in order to use technology effectively.