Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real value

1. Apr 5, 2009 #1
    i'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this but i need to know what a real value of an expression is. also can any one tell how i could find the least possible real value of an expression.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2009 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Without context, how could we know how to answer this?

My best guess would be "take the derivative, set it equal to zero, and check each occurrence". There are less advanced answers (for those who don't know calculus yet) and more advanced answers (Richardson's theorem says if the expression is sufficiently (not very!) complicated, it's undecidable in general).

4. Apr 6, 2009 #3
    could you tell me how to find the least possible real value of this expression:(where n is a real number)
    (n squared) minus (3n) plus [the square root of (n – 3)] minus [the square root of (n – 3)]

5. Apr 6, 2009 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]n^2 - 3n + \sqrt{n-3} - \sqrt{n-3}[/tex]

is what you wrote, and the last two terms cancel so it probably wasn't what you wanted.

6. Apr 6, 2009 #5

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, that would make it easy to find the minimum...

7. Apr 6, 2009 #6
    Agreed. Just to make sure we're on the same page, the answer would be

n=3/2, val=-9/4

True story?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook