1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real vs. virtual images

1. Dec 3, 2012 #1
    I am struggling on one concept that I cant find when doing a thorough search.

System: You have a projector (known to project real images onto a screen). The projector expands light with a lens, the light propagates to a flat mirror on a wall and reflects onto a screen.

Conclusion: Although the image may appear distorted, it is real. It originated from a point and expanded before reflecting onto a screen.

So, if that conclusion is right, then how is it that a flat mirror can be used a system that produces a real image when every definition basically says "no flat mirrors in a real image system"?

If the conclusion is wrong and in the system here the image is now virtual, then should I conclude that anything reflected off a flat mirror is virtual? Also, does this mean that a laser shining on a screen is real but a laser shining off a flat mirror on a screen is virtual (same concept, but just double checking)?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2012 #2
    It can't. Either the mirror is curved, or there is a pinhole you left out.

4. Dec 3, 2012 #3

K^2

Science Advisor

When you look through a mirror, you see a virtual image. You aren't looking through a mirror in this setup. You are looking at a screen. Any time you look at an image projected onto a screen, you are looking at a real image.

5. Dec 3, 2012 #4
    Thanks, I think I understand the concept completely now.

6. Dec 3, 2012 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

In your projector, the lens produces the image. The mirror simply redirects the light so the image appears in a different location than it otherwise would. If you remove the mirror, and maybe cut a hole in the projector, you can probably get an image somewhere, maybe on the ceiling or on a different wall.

7. Dec 3, 2012 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This was where you went wrong. I have never read this in any textbook. The connection between real / virtual has nothing, fundamentally, to do with mirrors or no mirrors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook