Can Miralax and Thick-It be safely mixed for a dysphagia patient?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with administering Miralax to a resident with dysphagia in an assisted living facility. The resident needs to take Miralax daily but also requires thickened liquids due to their condition. However, when the Miralax is added to the thickened water, it becomes too thin for the resident to drink. The speaker recommends informing the doctor about this issue and seeking their advice on how to address it.
Dian Cecht
So I work at an assisted living facility where part of my job description is to administer medications in the morning. There is one resident who takes Miralax (polyethylene glycol) mixed in with water once per day for constipation.

This is a doctor's order, so he must get it every day. The problem is that the resident has dysphagia, and all liquids must be thickened before he drinks them. We use a product called "Thick-It" which is combination of modified food starch and maltodextrin, according to the ingredients label. What's happening is that I'll thicken the water with the Thick-It, but then when I add the Miralax it thins the liquid out to the point where it's not suitable for him to drink.

What's going on here chemically?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Rather than try to speculate on what's going on, I would advise telling the doctor about the problem and asking how to address it. (There may not actually be anything chemical going on other than Miralax apparently being a good solvent for the ingredients in Thick-It. But I would expect that this problem has been encountered before, so there ought to be a standard way to address it, and it's really the doctor's call anyway.)

What is a real world chemistry problem?

A real world chemistry problem is a problem or challenge that requires the application of chemistry principles and concepts to understand and solve. These problems can range from environmental issues, such as pollution and climate change, to everyday problems like food spoilage or medication effectiveness.

Why is it important to solve real world chemistry problems?

Solving real world chemistry problems is important because it allows us to better understand and address issues that impact our daily lives and the environment. By using chemistry, we can develop solutions that improve our health, protect the environment, and advance technology.

What steps are involved in solving a real world chemistry problem?

The steps involved in solving a real world chemistry problem include identifying the problem, conducting research and gathering data, forming a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing results, and drawing conclusions. Collaboration and communication with other scientists is also important in the problem-solving process.

How can I apply chemistry principles to solve a real world problem?

To apply chemistry principles to solve a real world problem, you must first understand the underlying chemistry concepts related to the problem. Then, you can use your knowledge to design experiments, analyze data, and make predictions. It is important to also consider any potential limitations or ethical implications of your proposed solution.

What are some examples of real world chemistry problems?

Examples of real world chemistry problems include developing sustainable energy sources, reducing air and water pollution, finding ways to recycle or safely dispose of waste, creating more efficient and eco-friendly products, and improving the production of food and medicine. Other examples include studying the impact of chemicals on human health and the environment, and finding ways to combat antibiotic resistance.

Back