Can an average person move a 550 pound safe up a 14 degree incline alone?

• Thread starter lxjenkins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Real world
In summary, the conversation discussed the necessary force to move a 550-pound safe up a 14-degree incline for 10 feet. The force of gravity on the safe is approximately 5395 Newtons, and an individual would need to push with at least 1305 Newtons to move the safe up the ramp. This is equivalent to lifting 133 pounds straight up. It is possible for an individual of average strength to perform this task, but it may be safer to have assistance. The presence of friction was not taken into account, which could make the task more difficult. It was suggested to use a rope and pulleys for assistance in moving the safe.
lxjenkins
I have a safe that needs to be moved up an incline for 10 feet. The safe weighs 550 pounds and rests on wheels that are fully functioning. The incline sits at angle of 14 degrees. I need to know the force (preferably in a unit of measure that I'll understand) necessary to push this safe up the incline for 10 feet and whether you think it's possible for an indiviudal of average strength to perform alone. I have no information regarding the level of friction. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
the force of gravity on the safe is about 5395 Newtons. A slope of 14 degrees means that there will be a force of about 1305 Newtons down the ramp. You will have to push with at least that force to move the safe up the ramp.

That force is equivalent to the force it takes to lift 133 pounds straight up.

Definitely doable, but you have to do it for 10 ft and you don't wan't that bad boy to be at the top of the ramp when your legs fail.

I'd snag a friend.

Especially since my math didn't involve friction, which will make it worse.

the safe weighs about as much as an old large cubic inch engine..ya need two poel to moose it around , three to four to do the incline number..
my opinion

Pushing it is too dangerous. Is there anything like a tree uphill from the safe? If not, can you park a car there? A rope and one or two pulleys will help a lot.

1. What is a "real world moving problem"?

A real world moving problem refers to a situation in which objects or entities need to be physically transported from one location to another. This can involve both people and goods, and can range from simple moves such as changing residences, to complex logistics challenges such as moving large-scale industrial equipment.

2. What are the common challenges associated with real world moving problems?

Some of the most common challenges associated with real world moving problems include logistical difficulties, such as coordinating transportation and handling of goods, as well as potential damage or loss of items during the move. Additionally, there may be financial constraints, time constraints, and legal considerations that need to be taken into account.

3. How do scientists approach real world moving problems?

Scientists typically approach real world moving problems by using a combination of analytical and experimental methods. This can involve creating mathematical models to optimize logistics and minimize risks, as well as conducting experiments and simulations to test different strategies and identify potential issues.

4. What are some potential solutions to real world moving problems?

There are a variety of potential solutions to real world moving problems, depending on the specific circumstances. Some common solutions include utilizing efficient transportation methods, implementing effective packing and handling techniques, and leveraging technology such as GPS tracking and inventory management systems.

5. How can addressing real world moving problems benefit society?

Addressing real world moving problems can have numerous benefits for society. By finding more efficient and cost-effective ways to move people and goods, it can help improve overall economic productivity and reduce environmental impacts. It can also make the moving process less stressful and more accessible for individuals and businesses.