Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real world moving problem

1. Apr 3, 2009 #1
    I have a safe that needs to be moved up an incline for 10 feet. The safe weighs 550 pounds and rests on wheels that are fully functioning. The incline sits at angle of 14 degrees. I need to know the force (preferably in a unit of measure that I'll understand) necessary to push this safe up the incline for 10 feet and whether you think it's possible for an indiviudal of average strength to perform alone. I have no information regarding the level of friction. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2009 #2
    the force of gravity on the safe is about 5395 Newtons. A slope of 14 degrees means that there will be a force of about 1305 Newtons down the ramp. You will have to push with at least that force to move the safe up the ramp.

That force is equivalent to the force it takes to lift 133 pounds straight up.

Definitely doable, but you have to do it for 10 ft and you don't wan't that bad boy to be at the top of the ramp when your legs fail.

I'd snag a friend.

Especially since my math didn't involve friction, which will make it worse.

4. Apr 3, 2009 #3

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

the safe weighs about as much as an old large cubic inch engine..ya need two poel to moose it around , three to four to do the incline number..
    my opinion

5. Apr 3, 2009 #4
    Pushing it is too dangerous. Is there anything like a tree uphill from the safe? If not, can you park a car there? A rope and one or two pulleys will help a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook