Real world problem, with KE problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the collision between two objects, A and B, with equal masses of 1,500 kg. Object A is a car that impacts Object B, a boulder, on a straight line motion. After the collision, both objects continue to move forward. The velocity of Object A when it impacted Object B is being questioned, and conservation of momentum may be used to solve the problem. However, it is noted that the boulder may be lighter than the car, and the accuracy of any calculations is uncertain due to factors such as rolling resistances and potential negligence. The conversation also delves into the weight and volume of the boulder and the energy transferred during the collision.
WhiteHawk
What forum should I post this in, my friend died in a horrible car accident, some of us just want more answers I guess...

Object A is in straight line motion
Object B is static

Object A impacts Object B

Object A moves straight forward 60 m and rests
Object B moves straight forward 76 m and rests

Object A has a mass of 1,500 kg
Object B has a mass of 1,500 kg

What was the velocity of Object A when it impacted Object B?

To account for some rolling resistances, Object A was a car that rolled and tore up large patches of sod, Object B was a rectangular boulder that rolled ~20 times. I guesstimated 124 mph (see below), but I can't believe it (I feel like I missed a bunch of things or didn't draw the problem right).
vqFfUJs.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the boulder is the same weight as the car. from your description it seems it is lighter.

On a pool table, when the cue ball strikes a stationary ball, the cue ball stops and the stationary ball continues with the same velocity unless the cue ball has some additional spin. In your case, after the collision both objects are moving forward.

I think you can solve it via conservation of momentum.

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
Are you sure the boulder is the same weight as the car. from your description it seems it is lighter.

On a pool table, when the cue ball strikes a stationary ball, the cue ball stops and the stationary ball continues with the same velocity unless the cue ball has some additional spin. In your case, after the collision both objects are moving forward.

The boulder is about the volume of a fluffy lazy boy chair (minus the back). My landscape friend estimated that weighed 1.5-2 tons. Imagine literally, a car running directly into this boulder, transferring enough energy to launch the rock 62 meters (I just measured my stride, 737 mm x 84 strides), and keep enough energy to move / drag / roll the car 45 meters. I don't even know why I am doing this, I guess this is what a nerd does when his friend dies.

WhiteHawk said:
The boulder is about the volume of a fluffy lazy boy chair (minus the back). My landscape friend estimated that weighed 1.5-2 tons. Imagine literally, a car running directly into this boulder, transferring enough energy to launch the rock 62 meters (I just measured my stride, 737 mm x 84 strides), and keep enough energy to move / drag / roll the car 45 meters. I don't even know why I am doing this, I guess this is what a nerd does when his friend dies.

What answer do you hope to get from this? I'm thinking that any calculation will be far off from reality. Are you trying to determine speed? is there some negligence involved?

First of all, I am sorry for your loss. It is understandable that you and your friends are seeking more answers about the car accident.

I would recommend posting this question in a forum or group that specializes in physics or engineering. This problem involves the concept of kinetic energy (KE) and the calculation of velocity, which are topics that are often discussed in these forums. You may also consider reaching out to a physics or engineering professor at a university for their expertise and guidance.

Now, to address the problem itself, we can calculate the velocity of Object A using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass, and v is the velocity. We know the mass of Object A is 1,500 kg and we need to solve for v.

To account for the rolling resistances, we need to consider the frictional forces acting on both Object A and Object B. These forces would decrease the velocity of Object A upon impact. We would also need to know the coefficient of rolling resistance for both objects to accurately calculate the final velocity.

Without this information, it is difficult to determine the exact velocity of Object A upon impact. However, based on your estimation of 124 mph, it is possible that you did not account for the rolling resistances and/or underestimated the impact of friction on the objects. It is important to consider all factors and assumptions when solving a problem like this.

In conclusion, I would recommend seeking the help of experts in physics or engineering to accurately calculate the velocity of Object A upon impact. They can also provide valuable insights and explanations about the dynamics of the collision.

1. What is a real world problem?

A real world problem is any issue or challenge that affects individuals, communities, or the environment in a tangible way. These problems can range from social and economic issues to environmental and health concerns.

2. What is a KE problem?

KE (Knowledge Engineering) problem is a type of real world problem that involves finding solutions or creating systems using artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques. This approach is often used in complex problem-solving tasks that require a large amount of data and knowledge to be processed.

3. How do scientists approach real world problems?

Scientists approach real world problems by using the scientific method, which involves making observations, formulating hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to reach a conclusion. They also collaborate with other scientists and experts in different fields to gain a better understanding of the problem and find effective solutions.

4. Can real world problems be solved?

Yes, real world problems can be solved. Scientists and experts work together to find solutions through research, experimentation, and collaboration. However, some problems may be more complex and require long-term efforts and continuous improvements to address them effectively.

5. Why is it important to address real world problems?

It is important to address real world problems because they have a direct impact on society and the environment. By finding solutions to these problems, we can improve the quality of life, protect the environment, and create a more sustainable future for generations to come.