Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reality is a dream

1. Jun 14, 2003 #1
    When you wake up from a dream...sometimes you are sad as you woke up and suddenly realised that you were dreaming and it was not true. Sometimes you wake up to realise...."thank god it was just a dream"..
    So what is the reality here...Is the so felt reality for real or its just coming out from one internal loop(dream) to an outer loop (so called reality...) Is there a loop outside this reality which we will realise when we wake up one fine day. Imagine waking up from a dream called life to something else.. and find yourselves in the next outer loop...where does this end and how many loops have we before we finally meet the reality... Is there a reality that is absolute.....[?]

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2003 #2
    you're not the first to ponder about this. you should meet an austrailian aboriginie (don't know if i spelled that right).

but as interesting as it may be, this world is all we got. we may as well focus on it and attempt a bit of an understanding before we go on to the waking world. so dream on! (oh,and you'd better hope you're a morning person when you wake up from this life)

4. Jun 15, 2003 #3
    When you were sleeping or dreaming did you fell pain, joy, etc...... These things affected you did they not? You have all the tools to answer any qustion you need. No one can answer this, but you, I certainly would not expect one of these forum members to answer it for you or any other for that matter. Your question is original and I am afraid regardless of what others say. Responses like the ones you will recieve on this forum are human tools to attempt to take the zest out of your question, experiences/searches etc... You will find them on this forum and in life. If your questions are real, no one can stop you. You must do one thing here to accomplish what you desire, ask yourself a true question. Do you know what a true question is? I will not reply to this thread again.

5. Jun 15, 2003 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, I saw the Matrix too. Good flic.

6. Jun 24, 2003 #5
    but it does make you wonder, could a situation like the matrix be true. i mean do we and this world really exist. and ponder this. i think therefore i am. well in matrix situation you would think you were thinking, so you would possiably be! but are you really thinking, and do you really exist. humm difficult.[?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?]

7. Jul 15, 2003 #6

8. Jul 15, 2003 #7
    Hehe what a crazy possibility, I dont think to many people thought of this before the (im my opinion excellent) movie. I guess its the same kind of thing as having a complex (some sort of physcological condition?) something u are suffering from but dont know it, if you knew you had it it would not exist!

9. Jul 15, 2003 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I exist. You on the other hand exist only on my computer screen and have no physical manifestation. Sorry.

10. Jul 16, 2003 #9
    "Reality" is the only word in the English language that should always be used in quotes.

-- My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult

11. Jul 17, 2003 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure about the source...I think it was Tzang Tsu:

"I once dreamt that I was a butterfly. But then I awoke and wondered if I was a butterfly dreaming he is a man."

Also, the matrix is just a play on Descarte.

Many people claim to obtain objective knowledge through dreams that is later born out.

I have solved math, chemistry, physics, and toplogical problems in my sleep.

Many people claim to have "encounters" in their sleep. e.g angels, demons, spirit guides, aliens, incubus, succubus, etc etc.

Just a few thoughts...
    really no point; just observations.

12. Jul 21, 2003 #11
    Life and reality seems to me, a large program of some sort. The Laws that govern it are complex and interesting. All of us are just trying to decipher the program in order to find our way out or to create autonomy. That is why we love physics, because it is the closest thing we have to the origional program, and our best shot at truly understanding it. What is interesting is that the laws allow us to create our own versions of reality or perceptions which we can clame as reality as we please. We look for true reality but the fact is you can create your own to live in. Depends on what you want to do with your life? Better hurry cause time is ticking

13. Dec 11, 2003 #12
    First to understand the dream, is to know what a dream is made of. What it is made of is simple: Thought.

To understand thought, and its relationship to dreams is to understand the dreamer.

You are the dreamer. This is your dream. But do you realize it, or is it something that stands without reason?

Reality is a dream. I won't stray from that fact. And I won't stray from the facts that once realized, its apparent and obvious in everything you will ever experience. Until then, it is to be realized, that is all.

For every dream, there is a dreamer. Some dreams are subjective, others are universal. Its the universal dreams that you will learn to seek in time as the definitive answer to the realities you will conclude within states of self-realization.

So, enjoy them. Everyone that you become fully realized in. Including this one.

The Dream.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2003
  14. Dec 11, 2003 #13
    Shouldn't this be in the philosophy forum?

15. Dec 11, 2003 #14
    Perhaps not. I think this idea that reality is a dream needs to be debunked once and for all. Reality is not a dream! If reality were a dream, it would be impossible to dream, and the question would never occur to anyone. The fact that the question can be asked necessarily implies that the answer is no, unless you define "dream" and "reality" in such a convoluted way that the words lose their meaning.

16. Dec 11, 2003 #15
    Reality... It begs the bigger question, what is reality?

The answer for that question is two fold. Subjective, and objective.

In a metaphorical self-realized context.

As a subject of the *subjective* nature of this objective reality. I reason that its existence is in part, realized in a system of Universal truths. In these truths, we see in the fabric of time and space with the unfolding dream. And in that, the subject for whom which truth is realized.

To a human, reality is that human lifetime. A series of consicous experiences and thoughts reflecting back inwards to some force we call the self.

To reality, it is the humans which observe it, and eternity.

Reality is... there is no arguing that fact.

But what is it.

What is it really.

This is the question we must ask. And each of us knows there must be an answer worth answering to.

So lets stay on target.

Dreams, thoughts... existence as a consicousness.

What is the relationship between consciousness and reality.

Is there a relationship? Yes.

Can us as humans understand it? Yes.

But do most of us realize it? I like to think so, as I see it is the statement of their very existence. What they are and the thoughts that drive them to the lives they express.

Is the dream a part of this? Yes.

So what about dreams, I know we talk alot about reality and we know that we live, and we die. But in that we think in patterns so amazing that they themselves are reality. Dreams are proof of this.

But is Reality a Dream?

If you can realize it... then you are doing better then most. I'll say that it is.

Reality and the Dream is one.

Is oneness something that we as human can realize?

Until the next dream.

[​IMG]

"I" am reality. "I" am the dreamer. "I" am the dream.

17. Dec 12, 2003 #16
    I think my life is a dream because I spend most of my energy thinking, and paying attention to those thoughts, instead of experiencing whats is around me. I eat too fast without really tasting the food, don't pay very close attention when I watch TV, pay minimun needed attention when driving, don't sit up straight, that sort of thing. What I do is think, speculate, ponder. It gets to the point your whole life becomes a gedanken experiment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?