1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Realizing I made a big mistake

1. Feb 22, 2015 #1
    So, during my second year, I took a course known as Physics Problem Solving which was an elective for me. I did very well in the course initially, but my girlfriend broke up with me which led me to a downward spiral of depression. I realized that the emotional stress along with the coursework (each homework assignment was 25 pages) was too much for me and I pass/failed the course. I thought that since this class was only taught as a class at my college along that it may be interpreted by other colleges as a pass/ fail course. I did well on all my other courses that semester, I got all As. Every other semester I also did just as well. I'm at the end of my third year and I have a 3.94 major GPA and a 3.91 college (without silly high school college credit) GPA so far. I am acing upper level class coursework. I don't recall ever receiving anything less than an A- in any of my physics coursework, but I feel this will damage my transcripts beyond repair. Maybe I am overreacting, but for those who handle admissions would this damage my chances to go to a top grad school?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

You are overreacting. Whats done is done. You have a 3.94 GPA thats excellent and with a good GRE should get you into some top schools.

4. Feb 22, 2015 #3

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

The difference between a 3.90-3.99 and a 4.00 is basically insignificant, and admissions committees understand this. If one looks at this GPA difference in terms of a single semester, it could be the difference between getting 5 A's (and a 4.0) or 4 A's and an A- or B+ (and a 3.86-3.94). This distinction could literally come down to something as simple as missing a couple more questions on a single exam than the person with the 4.0. Very few students actually finish their undergrad with a 4.0, and it's almost silly to even try. A 3.91-3.94 is a fantastic GPA.

I lost my 4.0 a couple semesters ago due to getting a B in General Chemistry II. I finished the class with an 89.3%. Had I scored two-tenths of a percent higher, it would have rounded up to a 90%, and an A. I now have a 3.93 GPA because of that one B. I don't think that it can rationally be claimed that someone who completed General Chemistry II with an 89.5% (rounding up to an A) has a better overall understanding of the course material than myself, with an 89.3%.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook