Avoid "Really Bad" TV Movie: 300 Spartans

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation mainly revolves around discussions of various movies and TV shows, with a particular focus on the quality and accuracy of these productions. There is a general consensus that many TV shows and movies are poorly made and lack creativity, particularly in the sci-fi genre. Specific examples are mentioned, such as the movie "300" and the TV show "Joey". Some participants also share their opinions on Japanese game shows and reality TV. The conversation also touches on the topic of creative imagination and its role in producing quality entertainment. Despite differing opinions, there is an overall sense of humor and enjoyment in discussing these topics.
turbo
Gold Member
I just watched a TNT "movie" about Spartans. It was an absolute piece of crap from beginning to end. The whole set-up was that in close quarters, 300 Spartans could withstand continuous onslaughts from numerically superior forces (with lots of poetic license given to the character of the villain). Please avoid this stinker like th plague! The battle-scenes were not-at-all realistic CGI with little snippets of the actors here and there. If I could have cued this stinker up for Sunday's PF chat, I would have, but it would not have been as fun as running a transcript of a real classic like Caddyshack.

BTW, I don't type all that well in real-time. I ain't no court reporter.

Physics news on Phys.org
I loved 300. The movie is absolutely awful, but I thought the battles were fun to watch - and that's all it takes for me to enjoy a movie.

Anyone that has not experienced a Hurkyl narrated movie during chat cannot imagine what he is capable of.

I want TIME BANDITS!

SticksandStones said:
I loved 300. The movie is absolutely awful, but I thought the battles were fun to watch - and that's all it takes for me to enjoy a movie.

At the time the movie came out there was a great documentary on the history channel. After watching both the documentary was 1000 times better, and there were even animations.

I find that most of TV is crap. It seems like the networks cut deals with certain producers and actors, so they keep the crap on anyway since the contract buyout is too expensive.
I noticed this a lot on NBC. Alot of the shows are by the same producers or actors.
That show Joey, the spinoff from friends. That had to be one of the worst shows on tv, yet they kept it on because they had too much money into it.

turbo-1 said:
I just watched a TNT "movie" about Spartans. It was an absolute piece of crap from beginning to end. The whole set-up was that in close quarters, 300 Spartans could withstand continuous onslaughts from numerically superior forces (with lots of poetic license given to the character of the villain). Please avoid this stinker like th plague! The battle-scenes were not-at-all realistic CGI with little snippets of the actors here and there. If I could have cued this stinker up for Sunday's PF chat, I would have, but it would not have been as fun as running a transcript of a real classic like Caddyshack.

BTW, I don't type all that well in real-time. I ain't no court reporter.

If this was the movie 300, don't blow a gasket. It was not meant to be historically accurate in the slightest. It was a "bring 5 of your guy friends and a large soda to the movies and turn your brain off" movie and it never gave any pretense to be anything other than that.

On the contrary to the topic Boardwalk Empire is really good. The Pilot aired last week and it was beyond expectations. The Event looks relatively interesting too.

Some of the made-for-tv sci-fi, like Atomic Twister, is as bad as it gets for sci-fi.

Every reality TV show that I've tried to watch was so dumb that I couldn't stand it. Today something came on with people eating, and then vomiting, worms. Lord.

Library of Silence is hilarious, all Japanese game shows are unimaginably creative. There was one where they were playing soccer with binoculars, very clever.

Ivan Seeking said:
Some of the made-for-tv sci-fi, like Atomic Twister, is as bad as it gets for sci-fi.
Oh yes, I saw that one! Pretty hilariously terrible, at least as far as the science was concerned. I thought it actually wasn't bad in other respects.

The worst I've ever seen, though, has to be Annihilation: Earth. And not in a funny way, either - it was just painful.

diazona said:
Oh yes, I saw that one! Pretty hilariously terrible, at least as far as the science was concerned. I thought it actually wasn't bad in other respects.

True, they can sometimes do a decent job with the drama, even in a classically bad sci-fi.

I have to admit that I got a kick out of Volcano. It was esp fun since I spent a lot of time right where the hospital scenes took place, at Cedar Sinai. We had an MRI unit positioned where all of the filming took place.

The worst I've ever seen, though, has to be Annihilation: Earth. And not in a funny way, either - it was just painful.

I was trying to recall what would be the worst I've ever seen. There is a movie called "2012 Doomsday", I think, that is right up there.

Ivan Seeking said:
I was trying to recall what would be the worst I've ever seen. There is a movie called "2012 Doomsday", I think, that is right up there.
I think I've heard of that - never seen it, though. I'll have to keep an eye out for it on the SciFi channel once I've sufficiently purged my last run of bad SF watching from my memory :biggrin:

Kevin_Axion said:
Library of Silence is hilarious, all Japanese game shows are unimaginably creative. There was one where they were playing soccer with binoculars, very clever.

oh god this is the greatest thing ever hahahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwvVh0_ZelI

Kevin_Axion said:
Library of Silence is hilarious, all Japanese game shows are unimaginably creative.
How is it possible to be creative without any imagination?

Maybe the word supra-imaginable was more appropriate and by unimaginably I mean beyond something the norm would imagine of.

Kevin_Axion said:
Maybe the word supra-imaginable was more appropriate and by unimaginably I mean beyond something the norm would imagine of.
I know what you meant, I was just kidding. :smile:

The worst show on TV right is, without a doubt, "Ghost Hunters" on the "Sy Fy" (why oh why did they change the name?) channel. It's about a paranormal society that goes to supposedly haunted locations and "proves" the haunting by using blinking LED lights and random noises in recording that they extrapolate into "ghosts be slamming doors!"

It's actually funny how bad it is.

Ivan Seeking said:
"2012 Doomsday"

This film along with many others are made by this company: http://www.theasylum.cc/

They make straight to DVD movies which are strikingly similar to blockbusters about to be released by Hollywood.

A few of their productions:
Transmorphers
Transmorphers II: The Fall of Man
Titanic 2 (recent release)
Mega Shark vs. Crocosaurus
30,000 Leagues Under the Sea
18 Year Old Virgin
100 Million BC
AVH: Alien vs. Hunter

The list goes on, hit Home Entertainment at the top and then in the bottom left there's a film choice list box if you want to see what other classy stuff they produce.

So far as TV shows go, there's far too much vampire stuff on now, just like films. Wasn't so long ago the only vampire show to watch was Buffy.

SticksandStones said:

I figured there would be no point in watching that one. I wouldn't be able to follow it, since I didn't see 1 thru 299.

lisab said:
I figured there would be no point in watching that one. I wouldn't be able to follow it, since I didn't see 1 thru 299.

It's okay, you really just need to watch all the prime ones to catch up.

SticksandStones said:
It's okay, you really just need to watch all the prime ones to catch up.
Did the prime episodes have plots?

Greg Bernhardt said:

That's hilarious! That clip might have just supplanted "a dozen blind lesbians in a fish market" as the definition of "chaos".

Greg Bernhardt said:

Oh Japan has some great shows. I was there for 2 weeks on business and got to watch a lot of tv.

The funniest was a candid camera type show where they would stalk americans at the navy base in yokohama. The budget couldn't have been more then a blank tape for the video camera and gas money, but it was funny.

On the other side, I hate when american tv tries to take japan's shows and do them here. Like Wipeout, the japanese version is sublime, Wipeout is just stupid.

Even the TV news channels have become unbearable.

http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/jim-morin/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:

What is "Avoid "Really Bad" TV Movie: 300 Spartans"?

"Avoid "Really Bad" TV Movie: 300 Spartans" is a made-for-TV movie that tells the story of the Battle of Thermopylae, where 300 Spartans fought against the Persian army in ancient Greece.

Is "Avoid "Really Bad" TV Movie: 300 Spartans" historically accurate?

No, the movie takes many creative liberties and is not considered to be historically accurate. Many events and characters are fictionalized for dramatic effect.

Who stars in "Avoid "Really Bad" TV Movie: 300 Spartans"?

The movie stars Richard Egan as King Leonidas of Sparta and Diane Baker as Queen Gorgo. It also features a supporting cast including Barry Coe, Ralph Richardson, and David Farrar.

When was "Avoid "Really Bad" TV Movie: 300 Spartans" released?

The movie was released in 1962.

Why is "Avoid "Really Bad" TV Movie: 300 Spartans" considered a bad movie?

The movie received negative reviews from critics for its poor acting, low-budget effects, and historical inaccuracies. It has also been criticized for its portrayal of the Persian army as monstrous and inhuman. However, some viewers enjoy the campy and cheesy elements of the film.

Back