Force on a Point Charge in an Electric Field

In summary, according to Coulomb's law, the force between two point charges is the product of their charges and the vector sum of the forces acting on each charge.
wheybags

Homework Statement

A negative point charge of 10 ^(−6 )C is situated in air at the origin of a
rectangular coordinate system. A second negative point charge of 10^(-4) C is
situated on the positive x-axis at a distance of 50 cm from the origin. What is
the force on the second charge?

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know ;_;

Coulombs law gives the force between two points, buy I need the force on one of the points. My notes say :
If multiple charges exist, the fore
on anyone charge equals the vector sum of the
forces exerted on it by the other charges.
But I have no idea what that means. Help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
F = (keq1q2)/r2What your notes say is basically all forces of other charges will affect that one charge.

Could you explain how you got that please?

wheybags said:

Homework Statement

A negative point charge of 10 ^(−6 )C is situated in air at the origin of a
rectangular coordinate system. A second negative point charge of 10^(-4) C is
situated on the positive x-axis at a distance of 50 cm from the origin. What is
the force on the second charge?

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know ;_;

Coulombs law gives the force between two points, buy I need the force on one of the points. My notes say :

But I have no idea what that means. Help please?

hx35 is just reminding you to use Coulomb's law. The two charges are the two charges that you are given in your problem. The force is symmetric between the two charges (the force is equal and opposite on the two charges).

berkeman said:
hx35 is just reminding you to use Coulomb's law. The two charges are the two charges that you are given in your problem. The force is symmetric between the two charges (the force is equal and opposite on the two charges).

I don't really get what you mean.

wheybags said:
I don't really get what you mean.

Why not?

What is k? What is the value of q1? What is the value of q2? What is the value of r? So what is the force?

berkeman said:
Why not?

What is k? What is the value of q1? What is the value of q2? What is the value of r? So what is the force?

I still don't know how to find the force on only one point.

wheybags said:
I still don't know how to find the force on only one point.

You are finding the force on both points when you use that equation. The force experienced by each point.

Alternately, you can find the electric field generated by the other point, and use your own charge value as the "test charge" in that electric field at that distance away from the other charge to find the force on you, F=qE. It's the same thing.

berkeman said:
You are finding the force on both points when you use that equation.

What? The question asks me to find the force on the second charge.

wheybags said:
What? The question asks me to find the force on the second charge.

The force on the 2nd charge is the same (but opposite direction) as the 1st charge. There are only 2 charges in this problem, right?

If you have multiple charges in a question, you have to add them up as a vector sum of forces at your test charge location.

Please read the wikipedia article -- hopefully it will help to clear up some of the confusion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb's_law

This force (F) acting simultaneously on point charges (q1) and (q2), is given by

(emphasis is mine)

What is a point charge?

A point charge is a theoretical concept in physics that represents an electric charge concentrated at a single point in space. It is typically used in simple models and calculations to simplify the analysis of electric fields and forces.

What are the properties of a point charge?

A point charge has two main properties: magnitude and sign. The magnitude represents the strength of the charge, while the sign can be either positive or negative, indicating whether the charge is repulsive or attractive, respectively.

What is the equation for the electric field of a point charge?

The equation for the electric field of a point charge is given by E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where the electric field is being measured.

How does the electric field of a point charge vary with distance?

The electric field of a point charge follows an inverse square law, meaning that as the distance from the charge increases, the strength of the electric field decreases proportionally to the square of the distance.

Can a point charge exist in real life?

No, a point charge is a theoretical concept and cannot exist in real life. In reality, all charges are distributed over a finite area and have a finite size. However, the concept of a point charge is useful in simplifying calculations and understanding the behavior of electric fields.