Really basic resistance question, but not sure.

• Thread starter Chantry09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of notation in electronics, specifically the use of "k" to represent kilo ohms and "r" to represent ohms in resistors. The group also discusses the use of other prefixes in engineering, such as "m" for milli and "M" for mega. They also mention that this notation is commonly used in European schematics and on spec sheets.
Chantry09
Hey guys,

I feel like an idiot asking this, but if the question is talking about 1k7 ohms of resistance, am i to believe that is the same as 1700 ohms?

Thanks ^^

James

Physics news on Phys.org
Spadez said:
Hey guys,

I feel like an idiot asking this, but if the question is talking about 1k7 ohms of resistance, am i to believe that is the same as 1700 ohms?

Thanks ^^

James

Yes.

CS

What is this notation?

Shooting star said:
What is this notation?

I think its crap. Doesn't really make sense to me, but I've seen it on spec sheets before (then they put = 1700 ohms beside it in parenthesis).

CS

stewartcs said:
I think its crap. Doesn't really make sense to me, but I've seen it on spec sheets before (then they put = 1700 ohms beside it in parenthesis).

CS

From what you say, I presume it's done by engineers?

Dunno if it's crap, but you do see it in various places, so it's good to be familiar with it.

1k7 = 1.7k Ohms

1r7 = 1.7 Ohms

Just one more question. You both say this is seen in various places, like spec sheets. Where else?

berkeman said:
1r7 = 1.7 Ohms

That's a new one I haven't seen.

I suppose it may be to standardize the use of a comma (in Europe and other places) and a decimal in the US.

i.e. 1,7KOhms compared to 1.7KOhms.

Shooting star said:
Just one more question. You both say this is seen in various places, like spec sheets. Where else?

It's common on European schematics. Either in application notes, or in customer schematics (in my work, I help out with customer design reviews fairly often, so I see a lot of schematics from all over the world).

Also, you'll sometimes see medium-size power resistors labeled with the 2R2 type of notation, if the value is written on the resistor (as opposed to using colored bands).

Isn't it also possible for that notation to represent a potentiometer? I could swear that I've built circuits using 4k7 pots.

ranger said:
Isn't it also possible for that notation to represent a potentiometer? I could swear that I've built circuits using 4k7 pots.

And that would mean...?

I've seen the notation on the resistors themselves before.

ranger said:

Which simply means a potentiometer with a maximum resistance of 4k7, i.e. 4700 Ohms

This notation is very common and often very conventient; especially when you have small letters on a component since you do not have to use a point since e.g. 1.7k can easily be misstaken for 17k. 1k7 and 17k look very different.

> 1k7 = 1.7k Ohms

> 1r7 = 1.7 Ohms

The k I've understood, but what is the 'r'? What would be 720 in this notation? (I don't know what they use for 100. But, suppose they use h, then it'll be 7h2, right)

Shooting star said:
> 1k7 = 1.7k Ohms

> 1r7 = 1.7 Ohms

The k I've understood, but what is the 'r'? What would be 720 in this notation? (I don't know what they use for 100. But, suppose they use h, then it'll be 7h2, right)

I believe the R is just to show it is a resistor.

berkeman said:
I believe the R is just to show it is a resistor.

And the 'k'?

Shooting star said:
And the 'k'?

Kilo = 1000

Since there is no prefix for unity, they apparently picked the "R" for the resistor decimal point designator.

You will also see 47R for 47 Ohms, BTW.

The electronics use k with the meaning Kohm, not k as 1000x. It's just a coincidence. They never use h or d to mean x100 or x10.
Resistors of several kilo ohm to a hundred kohm are very common, so they just say 2.2 k or 2k2, 100k etc.
They also use r as ohm, just because in electronic circuit schematics, resistors are often noted as R1, R2 etc...

pixel01 said:
The electronics use k with the meaning Kohm, not k as 1000x. It's just a coincidence.

Why do you think it's a coincidence that the prefix k is used for kOhm? How many Ohms in a kOhm?

berkeman said:
Why do you think it's a coincidence that the prefix k is used for kOhm? How many Ohms in a kOhm?

If not, they should use k, h, d as well. But i have never heard. I use to spend some time working with electronics circuits , electronics devices and the like, and we used the word k so often that we never thought it's x1000 (in fact it is), I just thought kohm is a unit which is used as often as ohm (even more).

Refer to my question in post #5. It's a wonder I'm writing this and you are reading this.

(Oops, esteemed berkeman (a mentor in engineering) is on this thread! Didn't notice... :biggrin:)

pixel01 said:
If not, they should use k, h, d as well. But i have never heard. I use to spend some time working with electronics circuits , electronics devices and the like, and we used the word k so often that we never thought it's x1000 (in fact it is), I just thought kohm is a unit which is used as often as ohm (even more).

Nope, definitely not a coincidence. In electronics, we use MKS and the associated prefixes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix

Just as km = 1000m, kOhm = 1000 Ohms. Same deal.

It is also true that in engineering, we tend to stick with the prefixes that are powers of 3:

M = 10^6
k = 10^3
m =10^-3
[tex]\mu[/tex] = 10^-6
etc.

Like, if you turn on "Engineering Notation" on an HP calculator, you get scientific notation, but snapped to the nearest 3-power.

OK, now I feel a bit reassured with the explanations.:approve:

Sure that K, M are x10e3 and x10e6. But if you use that unit very often, the original meaning fades away. It's just like when you read some capacitors: muy, n, p. No one thought they are of one millionth or one billionth of a farad.

pixel01 said:
Sure that K, M are x10e3 and x10e6. But if you use that unit very often, the original meaning fades away. It's just like when you read some capacitors: muy, n, p. No one thought they are of one millionth or one billionth of a farad.

I disagree. We do math with those numbers all the time, often in our head. How can you calculate the LPF pole from R and C numbers, and not do the math on the prefixes too? The meaning of numerical prefixes never fades away -- they are part of the number itself.

berkeman said:
I disagree. We do math with those numbers all the time, often in our head. How can you calculate the LPF pole from R and C numbers, and not do the math on the prefixes too? The meaning of numerical prefixes never fades away -- they are part of the number itself.

I say in the view of an electrician, most of them also think so. I should say an ordinary electrician will never see a capacitor of 1 farad. The calculattions they often have to deal with also in p, n or muy.
Of course, we all know the meaning of K, M, mm, muy n , p etc..

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or object impedes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How is resistance calculated?

Resistance is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I), or R = V/I. It can also be calculated using the equation R = ρL/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length, and A is the cross-sectional area.

3. What factors affect resistance?

The three main factors that affect resistance are the material of the object, its length, and its cross-sectional area. Other factors that can affect resistance include temperature, the presence of impurities, and the type of current (AC or DC).

4. How does resistance impact an electric circuit?

Resistance plays a crucial role in electric circuits as it determines the amount of current that can flow through the circuit. Higher resistance means less current, while lower resistance means more current. This can affect the overall functioning and efficiency of the circuit.

5. How can resistance be changed?

Resistance can be changed by altering the material of the object, its length, or its cross-sectional area. It can also be changed by adjusting the temperature or adding impurities to the material. In some cases, resistance can also be controlled through the use of resistors in a circuit.