1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really basic velocity question

1. Jul 18, 2014 #1
    You throw a rock upward. The rock is moving upward, but it is slowing down. If we define the ground as the origin, the position of the rock is___ and the velocity of the rock is___.

I said that they are both positive because the rock is going up, and even though it is slowing down, it is still going up so the velocity is positive. Is my reasoning correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2014 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

I think it's looking for either an "increasing" or "decreasing" (not a "positive" or "negative")

4. Jul 18, 2014 #3
    The options show positive and negative.

I think it does make sense though, because the ball is in a positive direction relative to the ground, and the velocity is upwards, but I'm not completely sure.

5. Jul 18, 2014 #4

Nathanael

Homework Helper

They said the ground was the origin, but they didn't say which direction (up or down) was positive.

Your answers and reasoning are correct, but the problem really should have stated which direction is the positive direction.

6. Jul 18, 2014 #5
    Ah I see. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted